20 Years of Social Development: For Inclusion. For Equality. For People
20 years have passed since Member States of the United Nations embraced one of the most comprehensive action plans for achieving sustainable social development. Adopted as the outcome of the World Summit for Social Development held in Copenhagen in 1995, the Copenhagen Declaration and Programme of Action established an agreement to give social development goals the highest priority. The people-centred agenda of this ambitious Declaration was designed to promote social progress, justice and the betterment of the human condition based on full participation by all.
In January 2015, the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Division for Social Policy and Development (UNDESA-DSPD) launched a yearlong campaign “For Inclusion. For Equality. For People.” in commemoration of the 20th Anniversary of the World Summit for Social Development and under the umbrella of the UN’s “2015-Time for Global Action. For People and Planet” campaign.
The main objective of the ForPeople campaign was to:
- Reflect on the international community’s progress in social development while accentuating the vulnerable areas in need of acute attention for a post 2015 world that caters to all;
- Incorporate social development issues into the broader conversation on post-2015 development and highlight the cross-linkages between economic, environmental and social issues;
- Engage the general public on issues of social progress and the role of social development in achieving broader development goals.
The ForPeople campaign focused on youth, older persons, persons with disabilities, indigenous peoples, families, cooperatives, innovation and technology, employment and decent work, and poverty eradication. Updated facts, information, video interviews and info-graphics on each of the focal points were created and shared each month on the Division’s social media platforms. The Division also supported events and conferences linked to the issues discussed.
Watch the campaign’s wrap-up video below to get a glimpse of the most important facts regarding the focus themes of the campaign:
Please click on the images below for highlights from the ForPeople campaign:
As the global community transitions into the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) era, all stakeholders must not lose momentum in the journey to a world that truly leaves no one behind. It is imperative that governments, the United Nations system, the private sector, civil society, and the scientific and academic community work side by side in implementing policies that can sustain an international community that thrives on inclusion, equality, and one that is made for all people.
- For more videos launched during the campaign, please visit: http://bit.ly/forpeopleplaylist
- For more information about the “For Inclusion. For Equality. ForPeople” campaign please visit:http://unsdn.org/forpeople
- For more information on the work of the UN on the social development issues above, please visit:http://undesadspd.org or http://social.un.org
- For more information on the World Summit for Social Development, please visit: http://bit.ly/undesadspd-wssd