“The UN Flagship Report on Disability and Development 2018 – Realizing the SDGs by, for and with persons with disabilities shows that people with disabilities are at a disadvantage regarding most Sustainable Development Goals, but also highlights the growing number of good practices that can create a more inclusive society in which they can live independently.”
— United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres’ message on the International Day of Persons with Disabilities, observed on 3 December 2018
The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, pledging to “leave no one behind,” is an ambitious plan of action of the international community towards a peaceful and prosperous world, where dignity of an individual person and equality among all is applied as the fundamental principle, cutting across the three pillars of the work of the United Nations: Development, Human Rights and Peace and Security.
It is critical to ensure, in this regard, the full and equal participation of persons with disabilities in all spheres of society and create enabling environments by, for and with persons with disabilities, in line with the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
In 2018 the United Nations launched a first-ever UN flagship report on disability and the Sustainable Development Goals, the Disability and Development Report on the “Realization of the Sustainable Development Goals by, for and with persons with disabilities”. The report demonstrates that persons with disabilities are at a disadvantage regarding most Sustainable Development Goals. Concrete action is needed to include the world’s one billion persons with disabilities – 15% of the world population – as both agents and beneficiaries of development. Against the backdrop of all available evidence, the report identifies good practices and recommends urgent actions to be taken for the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals by, for and with persons with disabilities by 2030.
In December 2019, Member States took note with appreciation of the report through two resolutions adopted in the General Assembly. The first resolution titled “Promoting social integration through social inclusion” (A/C.3/74/L.17/Rev.1) and the second titled “Implementation of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and the Optional Protocol thereto: accessibility” (A/C.3/74/L.32/Rev.1) note the importance of this report for the continuing work to advance the rights of persons with disabilities in the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the Sustainable Development Goals.
The Full Report is also available in hard-copy version, by print on demand made available by UN Publications.
- Table of Contents
- Contributors to the Report
- Foreword by António Guterres Secretary-General of the United Nations
- Executive Summary
- Chapter I. Overview of the history of the work of the United Nations towards disability-inclusive, accessible and sustainable society and development
- Chapter II. Realizing the Sustainable Development Goals for persons with disabilities
- Chapter III. The way forward for disability-inclusive sustainable development
- SDG1 and SDG2: Ending poverty and hunger for all persons with disabilities
- SDG3: Ensuring healthy lives and well-being for all persons with disabilities
- SDG3 and SDG5: Accessing sexual and reproductive health services and reproductive rights for all persons with disabilities
- SDG4: Ensuring inclusive and equitable quality education for all persons with disabilities
- SDG5: Achieving gender equality and empowering all women and girls with disabilities
- SDG6: Ensuring the availability of water and sanitation for persons with disabilities
- SDG7: Energy and Disability
- SDG8: Promoting full and productive employment and decent work for persons with disabilities
- SDG9: Increasing access to information and communication technology (ICT) for persons with disabilities
- SDG10: Reducing inequalities through enhanced access to assistive technologies for persons with disabilities
- SDG10: Eliminating discriminatory laws, policies and practices concerning persons with disabilities
- SDG10: Reducing inequalities for persons with mental impairments or psychosocial disabilities
- SDG11: Making cities and communities inclusive and sustainable for persons with disabilities