Imagine the world in 2030, fully inclusive of persons with disabilities
Goal 11: Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
Policy Briefs and Infographics
- Making cities and communities inclusive and sustainable for persons with disabilities (Goal 11) | Infographic
- By 2030, ensure access for all to adequate, safe and affordable housing and basic services and upgrade slums
- By 2030, provide access to safe, affordable, accessible and sustainable transport systems for all, improving road safety, notably by expanding public transport, with special attention to the needs of those in vulnerable situations, women, children, persons with disabilities and older persons
- By 2030, enhance inclusive and sustainable urbanization and capacity for participatory, integrated and sustainable human settlement planning and management in all countries
- Strengthen efforts to protect and safeguard the world’s cultural and natural heritage
- By 2030, significantly reduce the number of deaths and the number of people affected and substantially decrease the direct economic losses relative to global gross domestic product caused by disasters, including water-related disasters, with a focus on protecting the poor and people in vulnerable situations
- By 2030, reduce the adverse per capita environmental impact of cities, including by paying special attention to air quality and municipal and other waste management
- By 2030, provide universal access to safe, inclusive and accessible, green and public spaces, in particular for women and children, older persons and persons with disabilities
- Support positive economic, social and environmental links between urban, peri-urban and rural areas by strengthening national and regional development planning
- By 2020, substantially increase the number of cities and human settlements adopting and implementing integrated policies and plans towards inclusion, resource efficiency, mitigation and adaptation to climate change, resilience to disasters, and develop and implement, in line with the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030, holistic disaster risk management at all levels
- Support least developed countries, including through financial and technical assistance, in building sustainable and resilient buildings utilizing local materials
Forward your comments, suggestions, references and/or new information of the SDGs and persons with disabilities to firstname.lastname@example.org or follow @UNEnable on Facebook and Twitter and use hashtag#Envision2030 to join the global conversation and help create a world that is fully inclusive of persons with disabilities by 2030.
(Further suggestions for resources related to the above Goal are welcome – Email email@example.com)
- Disability, Accessibility and Sustainable Urban Development, UN DESA
- The Right to Adequate Housing for Persons with Disabilities Living in Cities, UN Habitat, 2015
- United Nations Report following a Forum on Disability Inclusion and Accessible Urban Development, 2015
- Accessibility and Disability Inclusion in Urban Development, United Nations Department of Economics and Social Affairs, 2015
- Third World Conference on Housing and Sustainable Urban Development (Habitat III)
- UNISDR Toolkits
- World Habitat Day (observed each year on the first Monday of October).
- World Cities Day (celebrated on 31 October 2014).