The Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities was adopted by the General Assembly by its resolution 61/106 of 13 December 2006. It came into force on 3 May 2008 upon the 20th ratification. Article 40 of the Convention stipulates that “The States Parties shall meet regularly in a Conference of States Parties in order to consider any matter with regard to the implementation of the present Convention.” Since 2008, ten sessions of the Conference of States Parties have been held at United Nations Headquarters, New York.
The 11th session, per decided by States Parties at the 10th session of the Conference of States Parties on 15 June 2017, will be scheduled to take place at the United Nations Headquarters, New York, from 12 to 14 June 2018.
The session will expect to feature among other agenda items an election of 9 members of the Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
More information about the session, including agenda, programme, documentation and other substantive and logistic details, will be in forthcoming.
Civil Society Participation
- Registration for NGOs with ECOSOC status and NGOs Accredited to the Conference of State Parties: (will be OPEN on 1 April)
- Application for new NGO accreditation: OPEN (Deadline 19 April 2018)
- Online Application for Side Events: OPEN (Deadline 4 May 2018)
- CRPD Civil Society Forum, 11 June (details forthcoming)
- List of NGOs Accredited to the Conference of States Parties to the CRPD
Participation of National Human Rights Institutions (NHRIs)
- Application for NHRI participation in COSP11 (will be OPEN on 1 April)
- NHRIs Accredited by the International Coordinating Committee of National Institutions for the Promotion and Protection of Human Rights (Accreditation status as of 21 February 2018)
- OHCHR and NHRIs