The Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities was adopted by the General Assembly by its resolution 61/106 of 13 December 2006. It came into force on 3 May 2008 upon the 20th ratification. Article 40 of the Convention stipulates that “The States Parties shall meet regularly in a Conference of States Parties in order to consider any matter with regard to the implementation of the present Convention.” Since 2008, ten sessions of the Conference of States Parties have been held at United Nations Headquarters, New York.
The 11th session, per decided by States Parties at the 10th session of the Conference of States Parties on 15 June 2017, will be scheduled to take place at the United Nations Headquarters, New York, from 12 to 14 June 2018.
The session will expect to feature among other agenda items an election of 9 members of the Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
“Leaving no one behind through the full implementation of the CRPD”
1. National fiscal space, public-private partnerships and international cooperation for strengthening the implementation of the CRPD
2. Women and girls with disabilities
3. Political participation and equal recognition before the law
Promoting high-quality disability statistics and disaggregation of data by disability status for the full realization of the rights of persons with disabilities
President: Bulgaria (Eastern European Group)
Vice-Presidents: Tunisia (African Group), Sri Lanka (Asia-Pacific Group), Ecuador (Latin American and Caribbean Group) and Germany (Western European and Others Group)
The bureau, with the support of the secretariat, will organize the following Informal Briefings on the preparation of the 11th session of the Conference of States Parties to the CRPD:
1. Informal briefing to States Parties ( Trusteeship Council, May 16, 2018 , from 10 to 11.30 p.m) Announcement
2. Informal briefing to civil society ( Conference Room 9, May 17, 2018 , from 1.15 to 2.30 p.m) Announcement
- Provisional Agenda(English | Français | Español | Русский | عربي | 中文)
- Background Note
- Roundtable One: National fiscal space, public-private partnerships and international cooperation for strengthening the implementation of the CRPD (English | Français | Español | Русский | عربي | 中文);
- Roundtable Two: Women and girls with disabilities (English | Français | Español | Русский | عربي | 中文);
- Roundtable Three: Political participation and equal recognition before the law (English | Français | Español | Русский | عربي | 中文)
- List of speakers (as of 13 June 2018 7 pm, subject to change)
- List of Side Events (updated on 11 June 2018)
[The list of side events will be updated daily prior to the Conference. For side-event organizers, please forward the link to your programme for posting to email@example.com]
- 12 June:
- Opening of the 11th session of the Conference of States Parties
- Remarks by H.E. Antonio Guterres, United Nations Secretary-General, on the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities: English | Français | Español | Русский | عربي | 汉语
- Press Conference on “Including Persons with Disabilities to Achieve Sustainable Development for All”
- Election of Members of the Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and Matters related to the implementation of the Convention: general debate
- 13 June:
- 14 June
Civil Society Participation
New: Inscribe to the list of Speakers at the General Debate and make a request to intervene at the Round table discussions during the Conference CLOSED (Deadline 4 June 2018)
- Registration for NGOs with ECOSOC status and NGOs Accredited to the Conference of State Parties CLOSED (Deadline 28 May 2018)
Please note that this year, we are using a new platform for managing registration of NGOs with ECOSOC status and Accredited NGOs to the Conference of States Parties to the CRPD (COSP) at United Nations Headquarters in New York. The platform is called Indico, and and it will be replacing the registration functionality of the current system, CSONet.
- Application for new NGO accreditation: CLOSED (Deadline 19 April 2018)
- Online Application for Side Events: CLOSED (Deadline 4 May 2018)
- CRPD Civil Society Forum, 11 June
- List of NGOs Accredited to the Conference of States Parties to the CRPD
Participation of National Human Rights Institutions (NHRIs)
- Application for NHRI participation in COSP11 CLOSED (Deadline 1 June 2018)
- NHRIs Accredited by the International Coordinating Committee of National Institutions for the Promotion and Protection of Human Rights (Accreditation status as of 21 February 2018)
- OHCHR and NHRIs
Important note to registered Civil Society and NHRI participants:
The registration hours for CSO and NHRI representatives to pick up the ground passes for COSP11 at the UN Pass and ID office (320 East 45th Street) will be the following:
Sunday 10 June 2018: 1 pm-4 pm
Monday 11 June 2018: 8 am -12.30 pm / 2 pm-4 pm
Tuesday 12 June 2018: 7 am-12 pm / 2 pm-4 pm
Wednesday 13 June 2018: 9 am-12.30 pm / 2 pm-4 pm
Thursday 14 June 2018: 9 am – 11.30 am
The United Nations Secretariat is committed to promote accessibility and provisions of reasonable accommodation within the UN system.
The Accessibility Centre at UN Headquarters provides equipment and services to delegates and NGO participants at the Conference. Devices can be borrowed by submitting a valid Photo ID and are for use on UN premises only.
The Accessibility Centre will extend its opening hours during the COSP11 as follows:
11 June, 9:00 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
12 June: 8:00 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
13 June: 9:00 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
14 June: 9:00 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
The products and services available include:
- List of Devices available at the Accessibility Centre
- Wheelchair charging provisions at various locations around UN Headquarters
- Staffed desk to provide assistance on borrowing and using the devices
The Accessibility Center opens at 8:00 a.m. and devices are loaned daily on a first come, first served basis. Devices are in limited quantity and must be signed for and returned on the same day no later than 5:00 p.m.