Areas of Work: Policy Coherence
Policy Coherence is essential to a balanced implementation of sustainable development. It means developing mutually reinforcing policies so that policies work together to achieve national goals and objectives, while avoiding or minimizing negative impacts in other policy areas. Policy coherence requires capacity to analyse policy synergies and trade-offs among different policy options to develop coherent policies. UN DESA assists countries to build this capacity by providing access and use a broad range of analytical tools and models. These help to conduct integrated policy analyses and develop coherent policies and programmes across various dimensions of sustainable development including climate change, energy, sustainable transport, oceans, waste management, SIDS, green economy, cities and urbanization.
Key tools to build capacity for policy coherence include:
- Quantitative modeling tools for sustainable development policies, such as: Economic-Wide Models; Energy Systems Dynamic Models; a Model for Universal Access to Electricity; Socio-Economic Micro-Simulation; Integrated Assessment of climate, land-use, energy and water (CLEWS);
- Theory of Change and Multi-criteria Analysis (MCA);
- Vision, Indicators, Systems, Innovation, and Strategy (VISIS) methodologies for integrated planning and climate progress;
- Analysis of systemic linkages and interdependencies among policies approaches;
- Analytical support to draft National Sustainable Development Strategies (NSDSs).
In This Category
The 2030 Agenda states that the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are integrated and indivisible, and should balance the economic, social and environmental dimensions of sustainable development. Integrated approaches, strengthening coordination and coherence among...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=0hFOIVZD0dM As many as 14 of the world’s 47 least developed countries (LDCs) may leave this category in the coming years thanks to their rapid economic and human development. While certainly a cause for celebration,...