Areas of Work: Means of Implementation
The notion of ‘Means of implementation’ (MOI) describes the interdependent mix of financial resources, technology development and transfer, capacity‐building, inclusive and equitable globalization and trade, regional integration, as well as the creation of a national enabling environment required to implement the 2030 Agenda. UN DESA assists countries in securing the MOI by helping them strengthening their capacity for domestic resource mobilization through international tax cooperation, social cooperatives, and the use of various kind of international support measures and mechanisms in the areas of trade, finance and forests.
Key tools to build capacity in the area of Means of Implementation include:
- Negotiation, interpretation and application of double tax treaties drawing on the UN Model Double Taxation Convention;
- Formulation of strategies for sustainable forest management (SFM), including brokering financial support and partnerships between donors and developing countries for SFM;
- Assist LDCs address the implication of graduation and support a smooth transition from the LDC status;
- Develop feasible and focused policies that unlock their latent comparative advantage to achieve structural transformation (Growth Integration and Facilitation Framework (GIFF);
- Identify LDC-specific international support measures (ISMs) in the area of trade, official development assistance (ODA) and measures not classified under trade and ODA;
- Identify technical barriers to trade (TBT) import requirements of potential and existing trade partners (e-ping).
In This Category
The challenge of integrating the 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) into national policy frameworks is leading to renewed interest in national development planning. Indeed, the 2030 Agenda calls for each Government to “decide how these...
As the COVID-19 pandemic carves its dark entry into the history of humankind, causing serious illness and death, and upending daily life as we know it, UN DESA is supporting the world to contain the calamity and emerge from it more resilient and united.“UN DESA stands...