DESA is the secretariat of the Committee on Development Policy (CDP) https://www.un.org/development/desa/dpad/unit/committee-for-development-policy-cdp/, which advises the ECOSOC on issues related to smooth graduation from this category. In this capacity, the Department conducts impact assessment of graduation, especially in terms of reduced access to international support measures (ISMs) related to trade, ODA and participation in international fora. It also provides technical expertise, information and capacity development support to graduating LDCs to facilitate a smooth graduation from this category.
UNDESA can advise RCs/UNCTs on improved graduation procedures, ISMs, productive capacity and inclusive growth. It can also offer the broad range of Departmental support related to SDGs implementation -e.g. data and statistics to monitor progress and support evidence-based policymaking, integrated policy analysis tools, SDG financing including Integrated National Financing Framework (INFF) – adapted to the specific needs of LDCs.
UNDESA can partner with RC/UNCT for the implementation of graduation measures and tools to facilitate a smooth graduation from the LDC status:
- Assessment of the impact of graduation, especially in terms of reduced access to international support measures (ISMs) related to trade (granted through preferential market access for LDCs), ODA (granted through international commitments targeting the LDCs) and participation in international fora.
- Analysis and recommendations on a broad range of issues from graduation from LDC status to productive capacity and inclusive growth https://www.un.org/development/desa/dpad/unit/committee-for-development-policy-cdp/
- Information on international support measures for LDCs through the LDC portal https://www.un.org/ldcportal/
- Information on the graduation process to improve understanding and prepare for smooth transition through the Gradjet gradjet.org
- Access to key information from trading partners regarding new export product requirements through the ePing http://www.epingalert.org/en , a toolkit initially developed by the CDP Secretariat in collaboration with WTO and ITC and now managed by these organizations.
- Priority access for support in the design of National Forest Financing Strategies (NFFS), which help mobilize resources for cross-sectoral forest-related projects and develop project proposals for multi-lateral funding, such as the Green Climate Fund (GCF) and the Global Environmental Fund (GEF).
Guide to A Common Forest Financing Strategies for the SIDS, Low Forest Cover Countries, African countries and LDCs https://www.un.org/esa/forests/forum/capacity-development/forest-financing/facilitative-process/index.html