55th Session of the Commission for Social Development (New York, 1 – 10 February 2017) bit.ly/CSocD55
The priority theme for the 2017-2018 review and policy cycle will be “Strategies for the eradication of poverty to achieve sustainable development for all”.
- For the proposed organisation of work, click here Proposed Organisation of Work (as of 14 Dec 2016)
- For documents of the session, click here CSocD55 Documents
- Read more about the Expert Group Meeting on Strategies for Eradicating Poverty to Achieve the SDGs, 1-3 June 2016
- For NGO written statements Click here
- Use #CSocD55 for all your tweets on the 55th Session of the Commission for Social Development
Deadline: The CSocD55 is only open to NGOs in Consultative Status with ECOSOC. The deadline for online registration is 20 January 2017
Seventh Working Session of the Open-ended Working Group on Ageing (New York, 12-15 December 2016) bit.ly/OEWG7
The seventh working session of the Open-ended Working Group on Ageing (OEWG) was held at United Nations Headquarters in New York from 12 to 15 December 2016. Member States and non-governmental organizations exchanged views and experiences on gaps, successes and possible ways forward in protecting and promoting the human rights of older persons.
At the opening of the session, Member States adopted by consensus a decision A/AC.2278/2016/L.1 on the Modalities of participation of National Human Rights Institutions in the work of the Open-ended Working Group on Ageing, by which the Working Group invited National Human Rights Institutions (NHRI) with A-status to participate in future sessions of the OEWG. This is a landmark decision, as the Working Group is the first United Nations intergovernmental body outside of the Human Rights Council to enable such participation, which is in response to the GA resolution 70/163 of 17 December 2015 encouraging key UN intergovernmental bodies, including the OEWG, to enhance the participation of NHRIs in its work.
- For additional information including agenda, proposed organisation of work, the Chair’s summary, panelists’ bios and presentations, and list of side events click here bit.ly/OEWG7
- For statements delivered at the session, click here https://papersmart.unmeetings.org/ga/open-ended-wg-on-ageing/seventh-session/statements/
- All segments of the 7th Session of the Open-ended Working Group on Ageing may be viewed on United Nations Web TV click here
Report of the Secretary-General on the “Third review and appraisal of the Madrid International Plan of Action on Ageing, 2002: preliminary assessment”
This report is submitted to the 55th session of the Commission for Social Development, under item 3(b) (iv) of the provisional agenda. The report provides an analysis of the preliminary findings of the third review and appraisal exercise, including the identification of prevalent and emerging issues and related policy options. It also includes information on the regional preparations for the third review and appraisal of the Madrid Plan of Action, including actions, activities and the utilisation of a bottom-up participatory approach.
To read the report in six official languages of the United Nations, click here
(New) UNDESA Focal Point on Ageing “Briefing Series”
Health and Well-Being in Older Age
With advances in medicine and improved living standards, more and more people worldwide can expect to live well into old age. What are the health issues that particularly affect older persons? What do we know about the health of older persons in vulnerable situations? What are the challenges older persons face in accessing healthcare services? Read more http://bit.ly/HealthWellBeing