The theme of the International Day of Older Persons 2017 is:
“Stepping into the Future:
Tapping the Talents, Contributions and Participation of Older Persons in Society.”
This year’s day is about enabling and expanding the contributions of older people in their families, communities and societies at large. It focuses on the pathways that support full and effective participation in old age, in accordance with old persons’ basic rights, needs and preferences.
This year’s theme underscores the link between tapping the talents and contributions of older persons and achieving the implementation of the 2030 Agenda and the Madrid International Plan of Action on Ageing, which is currently undergoing its third review and appraisal process.
Between 2015 and 2030, the target date for the Sustainable Development Goals, the number of older persons worldwide is set to increase by 56 per cent — from 901 million to more than 1.4 billion. By 2030, the number of people aged 60 and above will exceed that of young people aged 15 to 24.
Stepping into the future with pledges that no one will be left behind, it is starkly evident that the need to tap into the often overlooked and under-appreciated contributions of older persons is not only essential to older persons’ well-being, but also imperative for sustainable development processes.
The 2017 theme will explore effective means of promoting and strengthening the participation of older persons in various aspects of social, cultural, economic and civic and political life.
- World Population Ageing 2017 by Sara Hertog Population Division, DESA
The objectives of the 2017 UNIDOP are to draw attention to:
- Enabling conditions/measures that influence the readiness of older persons to participate including securing healthcare, regular income, legal protection and access to financial services.
- Pathways/means to facilitate contributions and participation in old age, including technology, education and lifelong learning, access to information, as well as overcoming barriers that exclude or discriminate against older persons.
Spread the Word and Connect with Us!
- Visit our websites at: social.un.org/ageing | www.un.org/en/events/olderpersonsday/
- Follow us on twitter @UN4Ageing | @UNDESASocial and on Facebook at: facebook.com/UNDESASocial
- Use #UNIDOP for all your tweets on the International Day of Older Persons
- Celebrating #UNIDOP? Planning a special activity? We want to know! Tweet or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org