The theme of this year’s 24th commemoration of the International Day of Older Persons (1 October) is “Leaving No One Behind: Promoting a Society for All”
Living up to the Secretary-General’s guiding principle of “Leaving No-One Behind” necessitates the understanding that demography matters for sustainable development and that population dynamics will shape the key developmental challenges that the world in confronting in the 21st century. Not addressing older persons means not addressing 20 per cent of the global population by 2030, where there will be more people over 60 than children under 10, with the most rapid change in age structures occurring in the developing world. If our ambition is to “Build the Future We Want”, we must address the population over 60 which is expected to reach 1.4 billion by 2030.
UNDESA-DSPD and the NGO Committee on Ageing are celebrating the 2014 International Day of Older Persons. The commemoration will be held on Thursday, 9 October 2014 from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at the United Nations Headquarters.
- Message from the Secretary General
- Mission Statement
- NGO Committee on Ageing – New York – Flyer
- NGO Committee on Ageing – Geneva – Flyer
- Some Relevant DESA/Population Division Pieces of Information
- PGA remarks
- Statement of Mr Mateo Estreme, Permanent Mission of Argentina
What’s happening this IDOP? Here are just some exciting examples we received
- Geneva: Magic Movers
- Norway: Meløy Frivilligsentral
- Singapore: National Council of Social Service
- Geneva: ILO launches a new policy paper on “Social Protection for Older Persons: Key policy trends and statistics” Read in En, Fr & Sp
- Bangkok: HelpAge international launches Global AgeWatch Index 2014 on the social and economic wellbeing of older persons
- UK: the Age of No Retirement event #ageofnoretirement
Spread the Word!
Use #IDOP2014 and #60PLUS for all you tweets on the 24th International Day of Older Persons (1 October 2014)
Celebrating #IDOP2014? Planning a special activity? We want to know! Tweet or email us at dspd-ageing[@]un.org