UNGA75 Side Event – Central Asian Experience with Individuals Returned from Syria and Iraq
Central Asian Experience with Individuals Returned from Syria and Iraq: Successes, Challenges, and Lessons Learned
The United Nations Counter-Terrorism Centre within the United Nations Office for Counter-Terrorism (UNOCT/UNCCT) and the United Nations Regional Centre for Preventive Diplomacy for Central Asia (UNRCCA) are organizing an online side event entitled “Central Asian experience with Individuals returned from Syria and Iraq: successes, challenges, and lessons learned” on the margins of the high-level segment of the 75th United Nations General Assembly.
Thousands of individuals are still stranded in camps in north-eastern Syria and Iraq in dire conditions, exacerbated by the COVID19 pandemic. The side event aims to highlight the Central Asian experience and the United Nations support available to Member States that have repatriated or are committed to repatriating their nationals from camps in northeastern Syria and Iraq.
- WHEN: Friday 25 September 2020 from 10 AM to 1PM, EDT (New York Time)
- WHERE: The event with broadcast live on UNWWebTV
- Mr. Vladimir Voronkov, Under-Secretary-General of the United Nations Office of Counter-Terrorism (UNOCT) (Statement)
- Ms. Natalia Gherman, Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General for Central Asia, Head of the United Nations Regional Centre for Preventive Diplomacy for Central Asia
- Representative from the governments of Kazakhstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan
- Civil society representatives
- Representatives of UN agencies that have worked to support Member States on returnees, such as United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) and United Nations Office of High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR)