Co-hosted by the Government of Switzerland and the United Nations, the Geneva Conference on Preventing Violent Extremism – The Way Forward took place on 7 and 8 April 2016 at the United Nations Office at Geneva.
Building upon the Secretary-General’s Plan of Action to Prevent Violent Extremism and the formal debate of the General Assembly on 12 and 16 February 2016, the Geneva Conference will provide an opportunity for the international community to share experiences and good practices in addressing the drivers of violent extremism and to build support for the Plan of Action.
The first of the conference day will be dedicated to a meeting of senior experts on key issues related to the prevention of violent extremism. The second day will be the high-level segment of the Conference including interventions at the ministerial level. Heads of international and regional organisations and heads of UN agencies will also participate in the discussions on action at the national, regional and global level during the day.
The virulent spread of violent extremism has greatly troubled the international community over the last several years. Violent extremist groups are posing a direct assault on the United Nations Charter and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and are undermining our efforts to maintain peace and security, foster sustainable development, promote the respect for human rights and deliver much needed humanitarian aid.
In the General Assembly resolution on the Secretary-General's Plan of Action to Prevent Violent Extremism (A/RES/70/254), adopted by consensus on 12 February 2016, Member States welcomed the initiative of the Secretary-General and stressed that it is essential to address the threat posed by violent extremism as and when conducive to terrorism. This recognized that violent extremism cannot and should not be associated with any religion, nationality, civilization or ethnic group.
Building upon the Plan of Action and the formal debate of the General Assembly on the Plan in February, 2016, the Geneva Conference on Preventing Violent Extremism provides an opportunity for the international community to share experiences and good practices and to discuss opportunities to prevent violent extremism at the global, regional and national level.
- Concept note Geneva Conference
- Plan of Action to Prevent Violent Extremism
- Frequently Asked Questions on the Geneva Conference
- Note to correspondents Geneva Conference
- Press Conference - Mr. Stephan Husy, Ambassador-at-Large for Counter-Terrorism of Federal Department of Foreign Affairs of Switzerland and Mr. Jehangir Khan, Director of the UN Counter-Terrorism Implementation Task Force (CTITF) and the UN Counter-Terrorism Centre (UNCCT) – Webcast – UN radio - UNifeed
- Media stake-out - Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and Federal Councillor Didier Burkhalter, Head of the Federal Department of Foreign Affairs of Switzerland - 8 April - Webcast