Nov. 8 - Dec. 17 '99
Oct. 11 - Nov. 19 '99
Sept. 6 - Oct. 15 '99
| english | franšais | espa˝ol |
How far have we come in achieving equality for women?
Tell the United Nations your views and experience!
From September to December 1999, WomenWatch is holding the Beijing +5 Global Forum, a series of Internet Working Groups to provide input into the UN review. Join government representatives, activists, academics, private sector representatives and many others to share your experiences and ideas for achieving women's equality!
Your input will directly feed into the General Assembly's assessment of progress and the recommendations that it makes for further actions. You can make a crucial contribution to the UN's review!
The Working Groups will discuss:
Working Group Topics
* End Violence Against Women - This ongoing discussion examines successful strategies for ending violence against women around the world. (this Working Group began October 1998 and continues through January 2000)
* End Women's Economic Inequality - Examines women's economic inequality and the broader issues of economic policy. (6 September 1999 - 15 October 1999)
* Strengthen Women's Role in Environmental Sustainability - Discusses women's role in decision-making processes relating to environmental policies. (6 September 1999 - 15 October 1999)
* Promote Women in Power and Decision-Making - Focuses on women's leadership in national and local centers of power. (6 September 1999 - 15 October 1999)
* Secure and Promote Women's Health - Discusses all aspects of women's health from a life cycle approach, including reproductive health and reproductive rights of women. (6 September 1999 - 15 October 1999)
* End Women's Poverty - Examines strategies for addressing the needs of women in poverty. (11 October 1999 - 19 November 1999)
* Women and Armed Conflict - Focuses on women in situations of armed conflict, and women's leadership role in resolving those conflicts. (11 October 1999 - 19 November 1999)
* Achieve Educational Equality - Examines equal access at all levels of education and the removal of gender discrimination. (11 October 1999 - 19 November 1999)
* Women and the Media - Addresses the role of women in traditional and electronic media, including the influence of women in content and development. (8 November 1999 - 17 December 1999)
* Empower the Girl Child - Discusses ways to empower girls and to create an enabling environment. (8 November 1999 - 17 December 1999)
* Claim Women's Human Rights - Discusses the political, social, economic and cultural rights of women, and the impact of international treaties on women. (8 November 1999 - 17 December 1999)
To join the Beijing +5 Global Forum, please fill out our registration form.
The Beijing +5 Global Forum is supported with a generous donation from the UN Foundation and the Department for International Development/UK.