Events: International Women's Day 2014
Official UN Observance, 7 March
12:00–13:00, Eastern Standard Time, 7 March, Trusteeship Council Chamber, United Nations, New York
The UN commemorated IWD on 7 March at its headquarters in New York.
Full Event Webcast
- H.E. Mr. Ban Ki-moon Secretary-General of the United Nations [Speech: Online | Webcast]
- H.E. Mr. John W. Ashe President of the 68th session of the United Nations General Assembly [Speech: PDF | Webcast]
- H.E. Ms. Hillary Rodham Clinton Former United States Secretary of State, U.S. Senator
- Ms. Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka Under-Secretary-General and Executive Director of UN Women [Speech]
- Ms. Andrea Nunez Vice President of the World YWCA Board
Moderator: Ms. Isha Sesay, Anchor, CNN International
Related UN-system IWD Events Worldwide
Tuesday, 4 March
Turning Inspiration into Action: Next Steps for the Private Sector to Empower Women Globally (International Women's Day Forum)
8:30-18:00, Eastern Standard Time, 4 March, General Assembly, United Nations, New York
On March 4, 2014 the U.S. Chamber Foundation Corporate Citizenship Center, Business Call to Action, and United Nations Office for Partnerships will celebrate International Women's Day at the United Nations. This annual forum brings together leaders committed to the economic empowerment of women.
- Chelsea Clinton, Vice Chair, The Clinton Foundation
- Ambassador Melanne Verveer, Executive Director, Institute for Women, Peace and Security, Georgetown University
- The Honorable John R. McKernan, President, U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation
- Soledad O'Brien, Journalist and Co-Founder, Soledad O'Brien & Brad Raymond Starfish Foundation
- Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, Executive Director, UN Women
- Shiza Shahid, Co-founder and CEO, The Malala Fund
- Vishakha Desai, Ph.D., President Emerita, Asia Society
- Marc DeCourcey, Executive Director, Corporate Citizenship Center, U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation
- Alfonso Martinez-Fonts, Executive Vice President, United States Chamber of Commerce Foundation
- Charlotte Oades, Global Director, Women's Economic Empowerment, The Coca-Cola Company
- Dotti Hatcher, Executive Director, P.A.C.E. Global Initiatives, Gap, Inc
- Michelle Greene, Head of Corporate Responsibility, NYSE EuroNext, New York Stock Exchange
- Jane Nelson, Director of Corporate Social Responsibility Initiative, Harvard Kennedy School
- Priya Agrawal, Executive Director, Merck for Mothers, Merck & Co., Inc.
- Suzanne Fallendar, Director, Global Girls & Women Initiative, Intel Corporation
For the latest information and how to register visit: Event Page
Friday, 7 March
IWD Twitter Chat with UNDP Administrator Helen Clark
Closing the Gender Gap in Agriculture
10:00-12:00, Central European Time, 7 March 2014, Rome, Italy
Hosted by: FAO, IDLO, IFAD, IFPRI, WFO and WFP
A panel of high-level experts will debate how to close the knowledge gap in gender inequalities, how that would help better decision-making to close the actual gender gaps in agriculture and rural livelihoods, and how doing so will contribute to a better future for all. New findings about the different roles of women and men in farming and in food security and nutrition will be presented and their implications for policies and programmes will be discussed.
The keynote speaker for this occassion is H.E. Mary Robinson, former President of Ireland and Chair of the Mary Robinson Foundation - Climate Justice. The debates will be moderated by Juliette Foster, Journalist and broadcaster.
- Event Photos: Closing the Gender Gap in Agriculture, International Women's Day
- Article: Empowering Women in Agriculture
March in March to End Violence Against Women
1:30-2:30, Eastern Standard Time, 7 March 2014, Secretariat Building, UN Headquarters, New York
Hosted by: UN Women for Peace, United Nations Alliance for Civilizations
WHAT: UN Women for Peace (UNWFP) in partnership with the UN Alliance of Civilizations (UNAoC) are organizing the second "March in March" to End Violence Against Women, in celebration of International Women's Day. Participants will march from the United Nations Headquarters to Dag Hammarskjold Park in solidarity to generate greater awareness to End Violence against Women. The march will be followed by speeches from celebrities and distinguished guests.
WHO: Ban Soon-taek, Muna Rihani Al-Nasser, Nassir Abdulaziz Al-Nasser, Dina Powell, Trudie Styler, Naomi Cambell, Sheika Paula Al Sabah, Cindy Mccain, Kim Cattrall, Monique Coleman, Rosemary Dicarlo, Lakshmi Puri, Kelly Rutherford.
WHEN: March 7, 2014 at 1:30 p.m.
WHERE: From United Nations Headquarters (43rd St. and 1st Ave) to Dag Hammarskjold Park (47th St. and 1st Ave).
The event is open to the media. For more information or to obtain press credentials contact Ms. Nihal Saad: Office: +1 212 457-1751, Mobile: +1 646 255-4664, Email: saadn[at]un.org
Monday, 10 March
To 2015 and Beyond: Putting Girls' Education at the Heart of the Agenda
13:00-15:00, Eastern Standard Time, UNICEF House, New York
To mark International Women's Day and contribute to the CSW 58 dialogue, the Education for All Global Monitoring Report (EFA GMR) team and the United Nations Girls' Education Initiative (UNGEI), with Education International, UNICEF, UNESCO and Plan, will launch the Gender Summary of the 11th annual Education for All Global Monitoring Report and host a side event called "To 2015 and Beyond: Putting Girls' Education at the Heart of the Agenda".
The launch and accompanying event builds on the findings of the 2013/14 EFA Global Monitoring Report (GMR released in January 2014), which provides a critical assessment of progress and challenges towards achieving the EFA and includes an overview of the state of teaching and learning and quality education for all. This is an issue of critical importance given increasing acknowledgement of the "learning crisis" in education and its negative implications for gender equality and social equity as they relates to health, employment and political participation. The event will center on the Gender Summary of the EFA GMR Report and highlight the trends, gaps and challenges related to girls’ education and gender equality. Read more »
Thursday, 13 March
Panel discussion: The Aha Moment! Perspectives to Engage on Gender Equality
13:15-14:30, Eastern Standard Time, 13 March, United Nations Dag Hammarskjöld Library Auditorium, UN Secretariat, 405 East 42nd Street and First Avenue, New York
Hosted by: UN Women
- Ms. Mbaranga Gasarabwe, Assistant Secretary-General for Safety and Security of United Nations
- Ms. Patricia Nozipho Bardill, Interim Chief of Staff, UN Women
- Mr. Gary Barker, International Director, Promundo and Co-Chair, MenEngage Alliance
- Ms. Theano Lianidou, Former Managing Director and President of Boards at Mars Inc.
Moderator: Ms. Aparna Mehrotra, Senior Adviser on Coordination and Focal Point for Women in the UN System, UN Coordination Division, UN Women
Members of delegations, Secretariat staff, accredited NGO representatives and media are invited to attend. For more information, please contact Janaki Murthy at: janaki.murthy[at]unwomen.org