Sport to Enhance Transferable Skills and Employment Opportunities
By providing opportunities for young people to develop transferable life skills - characteristics such as leadership, perseverance, social and moral character, self-esteem, commitment to teamwork, problem-solving, and organizational ability - sport helps participants to realize their potential as productive employees and citizens. Sport also offers an important avenue for creating youth employment opportunities. The SDP IWG Report, “ Harnessing the Power of Sport for Development and Peace: Recommendations to Governments ”, made the following policy and programmatic recommendations which Member States, with SDP IWG support, are encouraged to implement:
- Recognize the different developmental stages of children and youth to ensure that physical education and sport policies, implementation guidelines, training resources, programmes, and curricula are age-appropriate.
- Provide children and youth with a direct voice and decision-making opportunities in the development of physical education, sport and recreation policies and action plans that concern them.
- Create opportunities for children and youth to participate in dialogue and decision-making with regard to the day-to-day activities of sport and physical activity programmes.
- Focus sport programmes on education and development (not winning), emphasizing skills improvement, tactical knowledge, success for all participants, enhanced confidence, positive social relationships, choices, and enjoyment.
To harness sport's potential for community renewal through employment, it is recommended that sport and development actors in communities should 1 :
- Develop a sport and employment plan;
- Support the creation of new employment opportunities in the sport sector;
- Adopt a policy of local recruitment and provide local opportunities for related skill development, training and qualifications;
- Provide local opportunities to increase employability and transferable skills through sport; and
- Demonstrate the impact of sport and employment projects.
To view a briefing note containing background information on Sport to Enhance Transferrable Skills and Employment, click here.
1 renewal.net, "Renewal.netOverview: SportandEmployment" at 2 online: http://www.renewal.net