"Green Growth and Least Developed Countries: A dialogue with the High-level Panel on Global Sustainability"
A side-event during the Fourth UN Conference on the Least Developed Countries (LDC IV)
Tuesday, 10 May 2011, 1:15-2:30 pm
Room Rumeli D, Lutfi Kirdar Convention and Exhibition Centre, Istanbul
Green growth is being put forward as a strategy that enables economic growth while enhancing sustainability. In intergovernmental negotiations, however, some developing countries have been questioning the relevance of the green growth strategy for their development. Specific questions raised include: To what extent can green growth contribute to poverty eradication? Where would the financial and technological resources required to implement this strategy in developing countries come from? How would this strategy affect trade and development finance modalities?
The objective of this event is to better understand the opportunities offered by green growth for least developed countries and to explore the concerns these countries may have. The side-event is organized in the form of a dialogue between the Global Sustainability Panel, senior representatives of least developed countries and the audience. Following initial statements by Panel members, the LDC senior representatives will take the floor to be followed by broader discussion with the audience, with the view to gather ideas, good practices but also concerns for further consideration by the Panel. The outcomes of the side event will feed into the deliberations of the Global Sustainability Panel during their third meeting to be held on 16-17 May 2011 in Helsinki.
- Tarja Halonen, President of Finland and Co-Chair of the Secretary-General’s High-level Panel on Global Sustainability;
- Tuilaepa Sailele Malielegaoi, Prime Minister and Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade of the Independent State of Samoa;
- Ali Babacan, Deputy Prime Minister of Turkey and Member of the Secretary-General’s High-level Panel on Global Sustainability;
- Madicke Niang, Minister of State and Foreign Affairs of Senegal;
- Cheick Sidi Diarra, Under-Secretary-General and High Representative for the Least Developed Countries, Landlocked Developing Countries and Small Island Developing States;
- Debapriya Bhattacharya, Distinguished Fellow, Centre for Policy Dialogue, Bangladesh;
- Janos Pasztor, Executive Secretary, Secretary-General’s High-level Panel on Global Sustainability (Moderator)
For further information, please contact Ms. Lee Cando, Global Sustainability Panel Secretariat, firstname.lastname@example.org
Information in French is available here.
For information on the 4th UN Conference on the Least Developed Countries. Please click here.