“Green Growth and Least Developed Countries: A dialogue with the High-level Panel on Global Sustainability.”
Tuesday, 10 May 2011, 1:15-2:30 pm
Room Rumeli D, Lutfi Kirdar Convention and Exhibition Centre, Istanbul, Turkey
Organisers: The Secretary-General’s High-level Panel on Global Sustainability (GSP)
Green growth is one strategy for fostering economic growth while ensuring sustainability. In intergovernmental negotiations, however, some developing countries have questioned how a green growth strategy can contribute to poverty eradication. Issues raised include: Where will the financial and technological resources required to implement this strategy come from? How would this strategy affect trade? Would there be implications for development financing, and if so, what are they?
This event will explore these concerns, seeking to advance a shared understanding of what a green growth strategy might mean for least developed countries.
This side-event will be in the form of a dialogue between the audience and Members of the High-level Panel on Global Sustainability Panel. Following initial statements by Panel members, representatives from least developed countries will be invited to participate in a discussion that can generate new ideas, identify best practices, and address key issues of concern, which the Panel can take up for further consideration in its next meeting in Helsinki and in preparing its final report.
List of confirmed speakers
- Tarja Halonen, President of Finland and Co-Chair of the Secretary-General’s High-level Panel on Global Sustainability;
- Tuilaepa Sailele Malielegaoi, Prime Minister and Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade of the Independent State of Samoa;
- Ali Babacan, Deputy Prime Minister of Turkey and Member of the Secretary-General’s High-level Panel on Global Sustainability;
- Madicke Niang, Minister of State and Foreign Affairs of Senegal;
- Cheick Sidi Diarra, Under-Secretary-General and High Representative for the Least Developed Countries, Landlocked Developing Countries and Small Island Developing States;
- Debapriya Bhattacharya, Distinguished Fellow, Centre for Policy Dialogue, Bangladesh;
- Janos Pasztor, Executive Secretary, Secretary-General’s High-level Panel on Global Sustainability (Moderator).
Synopsis of the expected outcome:
The outcomes of the side event will feed into the deliberations of the Global Sustainability Panel during their third meeting to be held on 16-17 May 2011 in Helsinki.