What: Press briefing presenting the latest population estimates and projections: “World Population Prospects: The 2017 Revision”.
The report, published by the Population Division of the UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs, provides a comprehensive review of worldwide demographic trends and prospects for the future. The information is essential to guide policies aimed at achieving the new Sustainable Development Goals. The data being presented include new estimates and projections of the size and characteristics of the world’s population from 1950 until 2100, along with updated information on levels and trends of fertility, life expectancy, and net migration at the global, regional and national levels.
Who: Mr. John Wilmoth, Director, Population Division,
United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA)
When: Wednesday 21 June 2017, 11:00 a.m.
Where: S-237, UN Headquarters, New York or live through webtv.un.org
For UN Media Accreditation, visit: www.un.org/en/media/accreditation
Please note that these materials are embargoed until Wednesday, 21 June, 11 a.m. EDT.
After that time, all the materials will be available for download at: http://esa.un.org/unpd/wpp
Ms. Melanie Prud’homme, UN Department of Public Information
T: 917-367-3541 / E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Kensuke Matsueda, UN Department of Public Information
T: 917-367-5418 / E: email@example.com
Available for Interviews
– Mr. John Wilmoth, Director, Population Division, UN DESA (English)
– Mr. Jorge Bravo, Chief, Demographic Analysis Branch, Population Division, UN DESA (Spanish)
– Ms. Sabine Henning, Senior Population Affairs Officer, Office of the Director, Population Division, UN DESA (German)
– Mr. Danan Gu, Population Affairs Officer, Population Estimates and Projections Section, Population Division, UN DESA (Chinese)
– Mr. François Pelletier, Chief, Population Estimates and Projections Section, Population Division, UN DESA (French)