Be the Change week
18-24 June 2017, UN Headquarters New York
As United Nations staff members, we dedicate our careers to improving the lives of others around the world. The adoption of the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda, with its core set of 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), are the UN’s blueprint for achieving a happier and healthier world by 2030. But how do we manifest these goals in our own lives?
Be the Change week will provide an opportunity for us to better “walk the talk” when it comes to the SDGs. During the week, staff will be encouraged to live more sustainably, by changing their consumption patterns, using active transport and buying local foods. Each day, participants will receive an email outlining the sustainability challenge of the day, with tips on how to achieve it. Your family, friends and roommates are encouraged to participate, too. The day’s challenge will be backed up by special events at UNHQ that you can participate in that day to learn more about living sustainable in New York.
Here’s the focus of each day:
Sunday, 18 June: Consumption (Goal 12)
Monday, 19 June: Trash (Goal 13)
Tuesday, 20 June: Transport (Goal 11)
Wednesday, 21 June: Food (Goal 2)
Thursday, 22 June: Water and Energy (Goals 6 and 7)
Friday, 23 June: Give Back (All goals)
Saturday, 24 June: Reflection (Goal 17)
Sign up to receive the Be the Change Handbook here for an overview of the week and tips on living sustainably in New York.
Here’s a list of restaurants near UNHQ NY that allow you to bring your own container, to have a more sustainable lunch!
Thanks for joining us!
Sign up for our email list here: bit.ly/signupbtc
Join our Facebook group here and share your thoughts, observations and photos of your Be the Change experience.
Be the Change: Take the Sustainability Challenge
Activities at UNHQ
** Opportunity to win a free Citibike pass at events all week **
Monday – No Trash Day:
- Shelf-stable food donation bin, 9-5 p.m., Secretariat lobby
- Brown-bag speaker panel, “Zero Waste: Steps Toward Not Trashing the Planet,” with guests from UN facilities, NYC Sanitation, Natural Resources Defense Council, 1-2 p.m., S-2723
- Cafeteria waste disposal demonstration, 12-2 p.m., Secretariat 4th floor cafe
Tuesday – Active Transport Day:
- Book donation bin (improve someone’s commute!): 9-5 p.m., Secretariat lobby
- Brown-bag speaker panel, “Happy Cities: The Promises Of Active Transportation,” with guests from Transport Alternatives, El Puente, Motivate Co. (owners of Citibike), 1-2 p.m., S-2723
- International Day of Yoga demonstration, “Yoga Session with Yoga Masters,” 6-7:30 p.m., UNHQ North Lawn
Wednesday – Local Food Day (also International Day of Yoga):
- Clothing donation bin, 9-2 p.m., Secretariat lobby
- International Day of Yoga, “Conversation on Yoga for Health,” 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., ECOSOC Chamber
- Discussion and tour of NYC Greenmarket, Dag Hammarskjold Plaza (48th St. between 1st and 2nd Ave.), 12:30 p.m., meet at NYC Greenmarket tent closer to the 1st Ave. side
- Demonstration at UN Food Garden, 5:30 p.m., UN Food Garden (Secretariat Basement Level 1, outdoors near satellite, between Secretariat building and East River)
Thursday – Water & Electricity Day:
- Electronics recycling bin, 9-5 p.m., Secretariat lobby
- Brown-bag film screening of “Tapped,” with UN Environment “Clean Seas” campaign presentation, 1-2 p.m., S-2723
Friday – Give Back Day (also UN Public Service Day):
- East River Park clean-up event with Lower East Side Ecology Center, 11 a.m.-2 p.m., East River Park Fireboat House (Roughly FDR Drive and Delancey St., meet there or join group departing from Secretariat lobby at 10 a.m.)
- Letter-writing and greeting card-making for homebound seniors, 1-2 p.m., S-2725