SENIOR LEVEL VACANCIES
The Secretary-General is pleased to announce the following job opening at the level of Under-Secretary-General:
Under-Secretary-General for Field Support, Department of Field Support (DFS)
The Under-Secretary-General for Field Support is accountable to the Secretary-General and is responsible for all activities of the Department of Field Support. The core strategic functions of the Under-Secretary-General are as follows:
- Directing all support for United Nations field operations led by the Department of Peacekeeping Operations and the Department of Political Affairs, including the provision of strategic direction on the delivery of support components in the areas of human resources, finance, procurement, conduct, logistics, communications and information technology, as well as leading problem-solving initiatives in these areas, as needed;
- Leading the development of organizational support strategies, policies and procedures to meet specific field requirements and recommending adjustments as necessary;
- Ensuring the recruitment and retention of high-quality civilian personnel for deployment to field operations;
- Liaising and conducting negotiations with Member States and other organizations regarding their contributions to field operations and related administrative and logistical support modalities;
- Acting as focal point within the United Nations Secretariat for all requests for information on matters related to the administrative and logistical aspects of field operations.
The core operational functions of the Under-Secretary-General include:
- Ensuring effective management and implementation of integrated support for field operations through the coordination of financial and personnel matters, logistics support activities and communications and information technology in support of field operations;
- Monitoring issues related to field administrative, logistic, communications and information technology support and liaising with Member States on these matters;
- Overseeing the delivery of operational, administrative and logistics support to ensure the safety and security of staff serving in field operations within the parameters established by the United Nations security management system;
- Overseeing the development and maintenance of strategic support partnerships with peacekeeping partners, including regional organizations and entities of the United Nations system.
In soliciting applications for this position, the Secretary-General is seeking an individual with:
- Demonstrated leadership experience with strategic vision and proven skills in managing complex organizations (such as an intergovernmental, international non-governmental or multinational private sector entity, e.g., a professional services or management consulting firm).
- Significant people management, financial and client management responsibilities.
- Demonstrated capacity to successfully apply state of art management and project implementation approaches.
- Impeccable personal and professional integrity.
- A good understanding of the United Nations system, including, of current peacekeeping, humanitarian and development challenges.
In order to ensure a wide pool of candidates for this position, the Secretariat would welcome any applications to supplement the Secretary-General's own search and consultations. The Secretariat would especially welcome applications of female candidates.
Individuals who are either nominated by Member States or who seek to serve with the United Nations in any individual capacity will be required, if short listed, to complete a self-attestation stating that they have not committed, been convicted of, nor prosecuted for, any criminal offence and have not been involved, by act or omission, in the commission of any violation of international human rights law or international humanitarian law.
All applications should include the curriculum vitae of the candidates and must be sent to the Secretariat by 18 August 2014. Applications may also be sent to email@example.com