SENIOR LEVEL VACANCIES
The Secretary-General is pleased to announce the following job openings at the level of Under-Secretary-General and Assistant Secretary-General:
Assistant Secretary-General for Economic Development in the Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA)
Under the guidance of the Under-Secretary General for Economic and Social Affairs, the functions of the Assistant Secretary-General for Economic Development include:
- Serving as the principal economic adviser to the Secretary-General in support of the Under-Secretary-General’s responsibilities for: The executive direction of the Department in the social and economic area; The provision of the economic advice to the Secretary-General and the relevant intergovernmental bodies.
- Coordinating the statistical, demographic and macroeconomic data gathering and analysis work of the Department;
- Leading and coordinating the research and analysis work of the Department, including its publication programmes;
- Supporting the Under-Secretary-General in ensuring policy coherence within the Department and in contributing to an integrated approach by the Department to economic, social, environmental and gender dimensions of development, as well as in identifying effective responses to emerging issues in the context of globalization and making proposals to the Under-Secretary-General for action accordingly;
- Promoting a better interface between the work of the Department and other UN Departments, Funds, Programmes and specialized agencies in social and economic fields, as well as in post-conflict development, peace-building and humanitarian activities.
The Office of the High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) presents its compliments to the Permanent Missions to the United Nations and has the honour to request the nomination of candidates for the position of Assistant High Commissioner (Protection) in the Office of the High Commissioner for Refugees at the level of Assistant Secretary-General.
The Assistant High Commissioner (Protection) reports directly to the High Commissioner, assisting and guiding him in the promotion and exercise of the Office’s protection mandate. He/she holds oversight responsibility for UNHCR’s global protection activities and for the development of protection policy and doctrine implemented through programme delivery, ensuring effective functional links between Headquarters-based protection services and field operations.
Further information on the position is provided in the terms of reference. Further information on UNHCR is available in the Secretary-General’s Bulletin ST/SGB/1998/9 and on the following website: http://www.unhcr.org/ | See full vacancy
In accordance with General Assembly resolution 48/141, the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights is appointed by the Secretary-General of the United Nations and approved by the General Assembly, with due regard to geographical rotation for a fixed term of four years with a possibility of one renewal for another fixed term of four years.
The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights is accountable to the Secretary-General and is
- Responsible for all the activities of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), as well as for its administration;
- Carries out the functions specifically assigned to him or her by the General Assembly in its resolution 48/141 of 20 December 1993 and subsequent resolutions of policy-making bodies;
- Advises the Secretary-General on the policies of the United Nations in the area of human rights;
- Ensures that substantive and administrative support is given to the projects, activities, organs and bodies of the human rights programme;
- Represents the Secretary-General at meetings of human rights organs and at other human rights events; and carries out special assignments as decided by the Secretary-General.