SENIOR LEVEL VACANCIES
The Secretary-General is pleased to announce the following job openings at the level of Assistant Secretary-General:
Assistant Secretary-General for the United Nations Department of Safety and Security (DSS)
In accordance with General Assembly resolution 56/255, the Secretary-General appoints the Assistant Secretary-General for DSS following consultations with Member States and with due regard for geographical representation. The DSS provides guidance and leadership to the decentralized United Nations Security Management System (UNSMS) in order to ensure the safety and security of United Nations staff, operations and premises at United Nations Headquarters, Offices Away from Headquarters and in field locations with the purpose of enabling the effective operation of United Nations system programmes and activities.
The Assistant Secretary-General for Safety and Security is accountable to the Under‑Secretary-General for Safety and Security. The core functions of the Assistant Secretary-General include:
- Supporting the Under-Secretary-General in the full range of his/her responsibilities, including assuming responsibility for all operational activities of the Department related to tasking, planning the optimum use of resources, expertise and experience, and overseeing and assisting the Department’s senior leadership in the discharge of their functions;
- Maintaining liaison with Designated Officials, representatives of Member States, regional groups, host government authorities and other senior leadership within the scope of the United Nations Security Management System, both at Headquarters and field locations;
- Supervising and overseeing the Executive Office in carrying out its delegated financial, personnel and general administrative responsibilities;
- Overseeing and strengthening the day-to-day, internal management of the Department, as well as representing the Department in the absence of the Under-Secretary-General;
- Supporting the Under Secretary-General in the performance of his/her functions as executive head of the Department, including by coordinating the work of various units both at Headquarters and in the field, and overseeing the preparation of reports to intergovernmental bodies;
- Overseeing the work of the Policy and Compliance Service, the Field Support Service and the Executive Office.
Further information on DSS is available in the Secretary-General’s bulletin ST/SGB/2013/5 and on the following website: https://trip.dss.un.org/
In order to ensure a wide pool of candidates for this position, the Secretariat would welcome any applications to supplement the Secretary-General’s own search and consultations. The Secretariat would especially welcome applications of women candidates.
The Secretary-General is seeking an individual with:
- Extensive experience at a senior managerial level with significant safety and security experience in the international environment;
- Demonstrated leadership experience with strategic vision and proven skills in managing complex organizations;
- Impeccable personal and professional integrity;
- Extensive experience in handling complex safety and security issues, including disaster/crisis management and in managing a large, complex and geographically dispersed department;
- Comprehensive knowledge of United Nations policies, procedures and operations of the UN Security Management System (UNSMS);
- Demonstrated experience in the implementation of workplace reform and change management;
- A good understanding of the United Nations system, including, of current peacekeeping, humanitarian and development challenges.
Individuals who are either nominated by Member States or who seek to serve with the United Nations in any individual capacity will be required, if short listed, to complete a self-attestation stating that they have not committed, been convicted of, nor prosecuted for, any criminal offence and have not been involved, by act or omission, in the commission of any violation of international human rights law or international humanitarian law.
All applications should include the curriculum vitae of the candidates and must be sent to the Secretariat by 25 May 2015. Applications may also be sent addressed to undssJobs@un.org