Secretary-General's video message to the National Model United Nations of the Republic of Korea, 2-5 July
Seoul, Republic of Korea, 2 July 2014
Vice President Lee In-sung of Yonsei University Wonju Campus, Ambassador Lee Ho-Jin, Vice President of the UN Association of the Republic of Korea,
Professor Shin Sang-beom, Director of Yonsei University Wonju Campus Model UN Secretariat, Dear Model UN Delegates,
I am pleased to send my warmest greetings to all students and faculty members participating in this 20th annual Model UN Conference. I thank Yonsei University for hosting. I am also grateful to the UN Association of the Republic of Korea and the Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade for their sponsorship.
You are meeting at a time of great risk – and great opportunity.
Climate change, war, poverty and other global threats demand an international response.
The United Nations is leading the human family in overcoming these challenges.
I am organizing a Climate Summit in September focused on solutions.
We are pressing to end conflicts and establish lasting peace.
We are working to reach the Millennium Development Goals by 2015 – and to adopt a bold long-term plan for the years after that.
Through Model UN, you can learn how to help us rise to the world’s challenges.
I am counting on you to make a contribution to our shared campaign for peace, development and human rights.
Stay engaged. Be a global citizen. Promote a life of dignity for all.
Statements on 2 July 2014
- New York, 2 July 2014 - Secretary-General's remarks at United Nations Global Compact High-Level Lunch [as prepared for delivery]
- New York, 2 July 2014 - Secretary-General's remarks at panel on "Best Practices and Challenges in Implementing a Moratorium on the Death Penalty"
- New York, 2 July 2014 - Statement attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on the murder of a Palestinian teenager in Jerusalem
- New York, 2 July 2014 - Statement attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on Darfur
- New York, 2 July 2014 - Secretary-General's remarks at United Nations Global Compact Board Meeting [as prepared for delivery]
- Maastricht, The Netherlands, 2 July 2014 - Secretary-General's message to joint high-level segment of the meetings of the parties to the Convention on Access to Information, Public Participation in Decision-Making and Access to Justice in Environmental Matters and its Protocol on Pollutant Release and Transfer Registers