Algiers, Algeria, 29 May 2014 - Secretary-General's video message to the XVII Ministerial Conference of the Non-Aligned Movement
Your Excellency, Mr. Ramtane Lamamra, Foreign Minister of the People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria, Your Excellency, Mr. Javad Zarif, Minister for Foreign Affairs of the Islamic Republic of Iran, Chair of the Non-Aligned Movement, Honourable Ministers, Excellencies, Ladies and Gentlemen,
It is a pleasure to greet this Ministerial Conference of the Non-Aligned Movement.
I would like to recognize the Islamic Republic of Iran for its chairmanship.
I also congratulate His Excellency President Abdelaziz Bouteflika and the Algerian Government for hosting.
From its beginning, the Non-Aligned Movement has emphasized universal values such as respect for human rights and the equality of all people and nations.
Your Movement and the United Nations share the conviction that multilateralism is the best way to solve global challenges – from preventing conflict to reducing poverty.
A new global landscape is taking shape. The emergence of new powers, rapid urbanization, increasing migration, advances in technology and other developments make this an era of transition and change.
You come together at a critically important moment. Member States are working to accelerate progress on the Millennium Development Goals by next year’s deadline and to shape a new sustainable development framework for the years ahead.
Climate change is posing increasingly grave dangers to us all. On September 23rd, I will host a Climate Summit in New York focussed on ambition and action. I look forward to the active participation and engagement of world leaders, civil society, the private sector and finance community, and others.
The United Nations and the Non-Aligned Movement have enjoyed a close relationship over more than five decades. I will count on your leadership to steer the world on a more peaceful, sustainable, just and equitable path.
I wish you a successful conference.
Statements on 29 May 2014
- Zagreb, Croatia, 29 May 2014 - Secretary-General's video message to conferences on ending sexual violence [first aired in Zagreb on 29 May; then London, 11-13 June 2014]
- New York, 29 May 2014 - Secretary-General's remarks at Dag Hammarskjold Medal Ceremony marking the International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers
- New York, 29 May 2014 - Statement attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on the Central African Republic [scroll down for French version]
- New York, 29 May 2014 - Secretary-General's Remarks at wreath-laying Ceremony in Commemoration of the International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers
- New York, 29 May 2014 - Secretary-General's message on the International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers