Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on the Council of Representatives elections in Iraq
New York, 28 April 2014
On 30 April, Iraq will hold nationwide Council of Representatives' elections and Governorate Council elections in the Kurdistan region. These elections mark an important milestone in Iraq’s democratic transition and can contribute to greater peace and stability in the country.
The Secretary-General welcomes the progress made by the Independent High Electoral Commission in holding these elections on time and in line with national commitments and international standards.
The Secretary-General strongly condemns the wave of violence and terrorist attacks that has targeted political leaders, candidates and electoral staff ahead of the elections and conveys his deepest condolences to the families of those affected. He urges all political leaders and personalities to create the conditions necessary to enable all Iraqi men and women to participate in the electoral process and to have their say on the future of their country.
Statements on 28 April 2014
- New York , 28 April 2014 - Statement Attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on the situation in Ukraine
- New York, 28 April 2014 - Statement attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on Egypt
- New York, 28 April 2014 - Secretary-General's remarks at the Event: "Celebrating Sport for Development and Peace"
- New York, 28 April 2014 - Secretary-General's remarks at Security Council open debate on Security Sector Reform
- New York, 28 April 2014 - Secretary-General's video message on the Tenth Anniversary of the Adoption of the Resolution 1540 (2004)
- New York, 28 April 2014 - Secretary-General's message on the Tenth Anniversary of the Adoption of the Security Council Resolution 1540 (2004)