Statement attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on the Maldives
New York, 25 March 2014
The Secretary-General welcomes the timely holding of the parliamentary election in the Maldives, which international observers have assessed as peaceful, orderly, and well administered.
The Secretary-General encourages the governing coalition to reach out to the opposition and to lead the country in the interest of all its citizens. He underlines the need for political leaders to work together and reach agreement on strengthening democratic institutions and enhancing the rule of law.
The United Nations will continue its support to development and democratic progress in the Maldives.
Statements on 25 March 2014
- New York, 25 March 2014 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on the killing of an Iranian border guard
- Quito, Ecuador, 25 March 2014 - Secretary-General's message for the United Nations International Meeting on the Question of Palestine - "Engaging for Peace - The International Year of Solidarity with the Palestinian People" [delivered by Mr. Oscar Fernandez-Taranco, Assistant Secretary-General for Political Affairs]
- New York, 25 March 2014 - Secretary-General's message on the International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transatlantic Slave Trade
- New York, 25 March 2014 - Secretary-General's message on International Day of Solidarity with Detained and Missing Staff Members
- Kuwait, 25 March 2014 - Secretary-General's message to 25th ordinary session of the Council of the League of Arab States [delivered by Mr. Lakhdar Brahimi, Joint Special Representative of the United Nations and the League of Arab States for Syria]