Secretary-General's video message to UNDP Global Management Meeting
Tarrytown, New, 3 March 2014
UNDP Administrator Helen Clark, Senior colleagues,
I am pleased to greet you today.
The Global Management Meeting is a unique opportunity for you – the collective face of the UN’s development work -- to debate the central issues we face in serving the world’s people.
It is a chance to learn from each other -- and to strengthen our bonds as a single UN team as we pursue a holistic vision for a new development agenda beyond 2015.
At the last such session three years ago, we assessed our role and relevance in a rapidly changing and challenging development landscape.
This year, you have a new Strategic Plan to guide you.
It is solid and ambitious.
It requires you to innovate and make ourselves fit for purpose.
Resident Coordinators are at the centre of this reorientation.
Your role is to lead from the field, advocate for the UN system and balance the varied development needs of our host countries.
You are key players in implementing Rights Up Front and in preventing and responding to crises.
All these responsibilities demand creativity, a proactive approach and a focus on results.
They require the highest standards of transparency, accountability and effectiveness.
By rising to these challenges, you can make a real difference in helping the countries we serve find the path of long-term prosperity and peace.
Your successes will be the UN’s successes.
A stronger UNDP means a stronger UN system.
And at this time of challenge and change, a stronger UN system will help us build a life of dignity for all.
I thank you for your efforts and wish you a productive meeting
Statements on 3 March 2014
- New York, 3 March 2014 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on Bahrain
- New York, 3 March 2014 - Statement by the Secretary-General on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the establishment of the United Nations Peacekeeping Force in Cyprus (UNFICYP)
- New York, 3 March 2014 - Secretary-General's message on World Wildlife Day: “Go Wild for Wildlife”
- Geneva, 3 March 2014 - Secretary-general's remarks at the opening of the World Wildlife Day Exhibition [As delivered]
- Geneva, 3 March 2014 - Secretary-General's remarks at High-Level Segment of Human Rights Council [scroll down for full English text]