Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on the second round of municipal elections held in Kosovo on 1 December 2013
New York, 2 December 2013
The Secretary-General welcomes the peaceful conduct of the second round of local elections in Kosovo on 1 December and is encouraged by the positive initial reports from local and international observers as well as the United Nations Interim Administration Mission in Kosovo (UNMIK). He stresses that the successful holding of local elections throughout Kosovo constitutes a milestone for, both, the normalization process between Belgrade and Pristina and the enhancement of democratic institutions in Kosovo.
The Secretary-General calls on actors at all levels to build upon the success of these elections. He urges the parties to continue to engage constructively in the EU-facilitated dialogue, with a view to implementing, in a timely and faithful manner, all provisions of the 19 April agreement, including the establishment of the Association/Community of Serb municipalities in Kosovo and the integration of police and judiciary structures in northern Kosovo. He underlines the importance of the continued progress in the dialogue for the consolidation of peace and stability in the region.
Statements on 2 December 2013
- Washington, DC, 2 December 2013 - Secretary-General's message to the Fourth Replenishment of the Global Fund, 2-3 December 2013 Delivered by Michel Sidibé, Executive Director of UNAIDS
- Lima, Peru, 2 December 2013 - Secretary-General's closing remarks at 15th session of the General Conference of the UN Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) [as delivered]
- New York, 2 December 2013 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on Ukraine
- Lima, Peru, 2 December 2013 - Secretary-General's opening remarks at the 15th session of the General Conference of the UN Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
- New York, 2 December 2013 - Secretary-General's Message on the International Day for the Abolition of Slavery
- Geneva, Switzerland, 2 December 2013 - Secretary-General's message to Thirteenth Meeting of the States Parties to the Convention on the Prohibition of the Use, Stockpiling, Production and Transfer of Anti-Personnel Mines and on Their Destruction [delivered by Mr. Michael Møller, acting Director-General of the UN Office at Geneva]
- The Hague, The Netherlands, 2 December 2013 - Secretary-General's message to the Eighteenth Session of the Conference of States Parties to the Chemical Weapons Convention [delivered by Mr. Jarmo Sareva, Deputy Secretary-General of the Conference on Disarmament]
- Bangkok, Thailand, 2 December 2013 - Secretary-General's message to launch Global Forum on Media and Gender, 2-4 December