Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on progress in peace talks concerning Colombia
New York, 7 November 2013
The Secretary-General welcomes yesterday’s announcement that the Government of Colombia and the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) have reached agreement on political participation, the second agenda item in the peace talks being held in Havana, Cuba.
The Secretary-General underscores the importance of guarantees and mechanisms to ensure citizen participation in achieving lasting peace grounded in democratic principles and respect for human rights. He praises the commitment of the parties to implement the agreement with a gender perspective, ensuring the political participation of women.
The Secretary-General welcomes the announcement that talks will continue in Havana and wishes both delegations further success in reaching agreement on the remaining issues.
Statements on 7 November 2013
- N’Djamena, Chad, 7 November 2013 - Secretary-General’s remarks during his meeting with Idriss Déby Itno, President of the Republic of Chad [as prepared for delivery]
- New York, 7 November 2013 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on progress in peace talks concerning Colombia (Spanish version)
- Bangkok, 7 November 2013 - Secretary-General's message to the Forum of Asian Ministers of Transport [delivered by Noeleen Heyzer, Executive Secretary of United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP)]
- Bali, Indonesia, 7 November 2013 - Secretary-General's Message to the Sixth Bali Democracy Forum [Delivered by Ms. Angela Kearney, Acting United Nations Resident Coordinator in Indonesia]
- Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, 7 November 2013 - Secretary-General's remarks at the joint meeting with the Prime Minister and Cabinet members of Burkina Faso