Monaco, 6 November 2013 - Secretary-General's message to the 7th Peace and Sport International Forum in Monaco, 6-8 November
I am pleased to send greetings to all participants at the 7th Peace and Sport International Forum in Monaco. I especially thank H.S.H. Prince Albert II of Monaco for his invaluable advocacy on this issue, and Mr. Joël Bouzou for his dedicated leadership as President and Founder of Peace and Sport.
As you meet, the United Nations General Assembly is set to pass its Olympic Truce Resolution ahead of the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics. Traditionally, this resolution expresses the collective reaffirmation of United Nations Member States of the contribution sport can make to our common goal of peace.
Earlier this year, the General Assembly declared 6 April as the International Day of Sport for Development and Peace. This is a clear recognition sport can contribute to human rights and development, erasing barriers and promoting solidarity around the world. This new commemoration on the international calendar should further promote the value of sport as a tool for development and peace. I hope all of you will help organize celebrations of the Day.
In my travels around the world, I have seen first-hand the power of sport to unite people, raise awareness and resources, and inspire individuals, particularly youth. From makeshift village fields to big-city arenas sport reminds us of our common humanity.
That is why I must take this opportunity to issue a resounding denunciation of any form of discrimination in the world of sport. We must adamantly reject all attempts to divide people or advance intolerant views in any athletic competition. As we carry out our efforts to promote peace through sport, let us remember to uphold and defend universal human rights. When we recognize that all people are born free and equal, we can create a more peaceful world.
I thank you for your support and wish you great success.
Statements on 6 November 2013
- New York, 6 November 2013 - Secretary-General's video message to the United Nations Association of the United States/United Nations Foundation Global Leadership Awards Dinner
- Niamey, Niger, 6 November 2013 - Secretary-General’s remarks at joint meeting with President of Niger, Prime Minister and Cabinet Members
- Niamey, Niger, 6 November 2013 - Secretary-General's remarks to the National Assembly of Niger [Scroll down for the English version]
- Simferopol, Ukraine, 6 November 2013 - Secretary-General's message to meeting of the Black Sea Universities Network
- New York, 6 November 2013 - Secretary-General's message on the International Day for Preventing the Exploitation of the Environment in War and Armed Conflict
- Niamey, Niger, 6 November 2013 - Secretary-General's remarks at launch of Call to Action on Demographic Issues in the Sahel Region [as prepared for delivery] [Please scroll down for French version]