Gwangju, Republic of Korea, 23 August 2013 - Secretary-General's Video Message to Gwangju Universiade "Epics" Forum
I am pleased to send greetings to the EPICS Forum.
This first edition of this youth initiative dedicated
to Environment, Peace, Information Technology, Culture and Sports will address the theme of Sport for Development and Peace.
Sport is a universal language.
It unites people and cultures and helps to build bridges for peace.
It can be a powerful catalyst for social change.
That is why the United Nations supports using sport to promote equality and social inclusion and help achieve the Millennium Development Goals.
Sport is so much more than competition.
It is about fairness, respect, tolerance and teamwork.
Everyone should have the opportunity to exercise the right to participate, regardless of means, age or ability, race or religion, gender or sexual orientation.
I commend the Gwangju Universiade 2015 Organizing Committee for embracing Sport for All.
This Forum can help you to consider the role you can play.
I encourage you to listen, learn, exchange experiences and work together for a sustainable, just and peaceful future.
I wish you an enjoyable and productive Forum.
Statements on 23 August 2013
- New York, 23 August 2013 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on Lebanon - Firing of rockets against Israel
- New York, 23 August 2013 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on the bombings in Tripoli, Lebanon
- New York, 23 August 2013 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on the alleged use of chemical weapons in Syria
- Seoul, Republic of Korea, 23 August 2013 - Secretary-General's remarks at event of the United Nations Academic Impact [As prepared]
- Seoul, 23 August 2013 - Secretary-General's remarks at meeting with diplomatic corps on the Millennium Development Goals and Africa: outreach on accelerating action