Secretary-General's message to Caribbean Regional Seminar on Implementation of the Third International Decade for the Eradication of Colonialism [delivered by Mr. Diego Zorrilla, the UN Resident Coordinator of Ecuador]
Quito, Ecuador, 28 May 2013
I am happy to greet the participants in this Caribbean regional seminar on decolonization.
I thank the Government and people of Ecuador for again hosting this important seminar, which is being held in the context of the United Nations Third International Decade for the Eradication of Colonialism.
This year, you have gathered to review recent developments as well as trends that are likely to influence developments in the upcoming period.
First and foremost, you will focus on the Special Committee’s role in advancing the United Nations decolonization process.
Enhanced dialogue and communication among the Special Committee, the elected representatives of the Non-Self-Governing Territories and the administering Powers are essential.
When I addressed the Special Committee in February, I suggested that it identify possibilities for change and promote priorities for decolonization.
Your gathering in Quito is designed to facilitate informal exchanges and brainstorming to help the Committee to accomplish this important task at its substantive session less than a fortnight away.
I encourage you to use this seminar to show how statements of principle can be transferred into action. Let us build on the many successes of decolonization. Let us also retool and rejuvenate our methods of work and become true “enablers” of the decolonization process.
Please accept my best wishes for a productive seminar.
Statements on 28 May 2013
- Tehran, Iran, 28 May 2013 - Secretary-General's message to Consultative Meeting on Syria [Delivered by Mr. Gary Lewis, UN Resident Coordinator in Iran]
- New York, 28 May 2013 - Secretary-General's remarks to the opening of "Absence" Exhibit organised by the Permanent Mission of Argentina to the United Nations [as prepared for delivery]
- New York, 28 May 2013 - Secretary-General's message to Meeting of the Global Task Force of Local and Regional Governments for the Post-2015 Development Agenda [Delivered by Mr. Shamshad Akhtar, Assistant Secretary-General of the Department of Economic and Social Affairs]
- Beijing, People's Republic of China, 28 May 2013 - Secretary-General's Message to the China Beijing International Fair for Trade in Services and Global Services Forum
- Berlin, Germany, 28 May 2013 - Secretary-General's Message to Fifth International Conference of Ministers and Senior Officials Responsible for Physical Education and Sport [Delivered by his Special Adviser on Sport for Development and Peace, Mr. Wilfried Lemke]