Secretary-General's Message to the China Beijing International Fair for Trade in Services and Global Services Forum
Beijing, People's Republic of China, 28 May 2013
I am pleased to send greetings to the participants in the second China Beijing International Fair for Trade in Services (CIFTIS) and the second Beijing edition of the Global Services Forum. I thank the government of the People’s Republic of China and the Beijing Municipality for hosting.
The services sector is a major component of the global economy, contributing a growing share to gross domestic product, trade and employment. At the same time a wide range of services – from health to energy – are indispensable to achieving the Millennium Development Goals.
Your input and ideas are most welcome as policymakers work on fashioning a post-2015 development framework, and explore issues related to challenges such as migration and development.
Let us work together to maximize the potential of services as an instrument for inclusive and sustainable development. I trust that public awareness raised by the CIFTIS, and the deliberations at the Global Services Forum, will advance our shared goals and objectives.
Thank you for your engagement. Best wishes for a productive gathering.
Statements on 28 May 2013
- Tehran, Iran, 28 May 2013 - Secretary-General's message to Consultative Meeting on Syria [Delivered by Mr. Gary Lewis, UN Resident Coordinator in Iran]
- New York, 28 May 2013 - Secretary-General's remarks to the opening of "Absence" Exhibit organised by the Permanent Mission of Argentina to the United Nations [as prepared for delivery]
- New York, 28 May 2013 - Secretary-General's message to Meeting of the Global Task Force of Local and Regional Governments for the Post-2015 Development Agenda [Delivered by Mr. Shamshad Akhtar, Assistant Secretary-General of the Department of Economic and Social Affairs]
- Quito, Ecuador, 28 May 2013 - Secretary-General's message to Caribbean Regional Seminar on Implementation of the Third International Decade for the Eradication of Colonialism [delivered by Mr. Diego Zorrilla, the UN Resident Coordinator of Ecuador]
- Berlin, Germany, 28 May 2013 - Secretary-General's Message to Fifth International Conference of Ministers and Senior Officials Responsible for Physical Education and Sport [Delivered by his Special Adviser on Sport for Development and Peace, Mr. Wilfried Lemke]