New York, 29 April 2013 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on the assassination attempt against the Prime Minister of Syria
The Secretary-General condemns the terrorist attack on the convoy of Syrian Prime Minister Wael Al-Halki in Damascus earlier today, which resulted in deaths and injuries. He expresses his deepest condolences to the families of the victims and wishes those injured a speedy recovery.
The Secretary-General has consistently condemned all acts of terrorism. The targeting of civilians and civilian objects by anyone is unacceptable. The Secretary-General remains extremely worried at the continued escalation of violence in Syria, where civilians continue to be killed, injured, detained and abducted every day, including most recently the kidnapping of two prominent clerics in northern Syria.
The Secretary-General has repeatedly stressed that all violence must end immediately, all sides in the Syrian conflict should move towards a political solution, and all should stop supplying weapons to any side in Syria. Syria does not need a further militarization and radicalization of the conflict. What Syria urgently needs instead is dialogue and reconciliation.
Statements on 29 April 2013
- New York, 29 April 2013 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on the killing of Somalia's Deputy State Attorney
- New York, 29 April 2013 - Secretary-General's remarks to the American Bar Association "ABA Day at the UN" [as prepared for delivery]
- Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 29 April 2013 - Secretary-General's message to UN International Meeting on the Question of Palestine [delivered by Mr. Carlos Lopes, Executive Secretary of the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa]
- Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, 29 April 2013 - Secretary-General's message to the Ministerial Conference of the Community of Democracies [delivered by Mr. Kassym-Jomart Tokayev, Director-General of the United Nations Office at Geneva]
- New York, 29 April 2013 - Secretary-General's message on the Day of Remembrance for All Victims of Chemical Warfare