Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on Sudan and South Sudan
New York, 24 April 2013
The Secretary-General welcomes the further positive conclusions reached by the Governments of Sudan and South Sudan on implementation modalities of the 27 September 2012 Agreements at meetings held under the auspices of the African Union High-Level Implementation Panel in Addis Ababa on 22 and 23 April 2013.
The Secretary-General is also encouraged by the start of the direct talks today between the Government of Sudan and the SPLM/North on the basis of the African Union Peace and Security Council and the United Nations Security Council resolutions. This demonstrates the commitment of both sides to find a peaceful solution to the conflict in Southern Kordofan and Blue Nile states.
The Secretary-General urges the parties to agree on an immediate cessation of hostilities in order to allow for humanitarian access to the civilian population in the affected areas and to create an atmosphere conducive to a durable political solution of the conflict.
Statements on 24 April 2013
- New York, 24 April 2013 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on Paraguay's elections
- New York, 24 April 2013 - Secretary-General's remarks at Special General Assembly Tribute to Oscar Niemeyer and the United Nations Board of Design [as prepared for delivery]
- New York, 24 April 2013 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on Guinea [scroll down for French version]
- New York, 24 April 2013 - Secretary-General's welcome address at ECOSOC Special Event: "Partnering for Innovative Solutions to Sustainable Development [as delivered]
- Belize, 24 April 2013 - Secretary-General's message on World Vaccination Week event organized by the Pan american Health Organization [delivered by Mr. Roberto Valent, United Nations Resident Coordinator for Belize]
- New York, 24 April 2013 - Secretary-General's remarks at Bloomberg New Energy Finance Summit [as prepared for delivery]