Statement Attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on the Governorate Council elections in Iraq
New York, 22 April 2013
The Secretary-General congratulates the people of Iraq for participating in the Governorate Council elections. By exercising their constitutional right to vote, the Iraqi people have reaffirmed their desire for a democratic Iraq. The Secretary-General applauds their courage and determination, which thwarted attempts to disrupt the electoral process through a vicious campaign of assassinations of candidates, threats to electoral staff and terrorist attacks.
The Secretary-General commends the Independent High Electoral Commission (IHEC) for organizing the elections in a professional manner. He calls for actions to enable the organization of elections in the remaining Governorates, including Anbar and Ninewa, without further delay.
The Secretary-General encourages all political and electoral stakeholders to continue cooperating with all Iraqi electoral institutions throughout the rest of the electoral process, including the adjudication of formal complaints before results can be certified. He reaffirms the full commitment of the United Nations to continue to support and assist the IHEC.
Statements on 22 April 2013
- New York, 22 April 2013 - Secretary-General's remarks to Friends of Sustainable Energy for All
- New York, 22 April 2013 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General regarding the violence in Borno State, Nigeria
- New York, 22 April 2013 - Secretary-General's remarks at event on "Preventing the Proliferation of Weapons of Mass Destruction to Non-State Actors : The Implementation of Resolution 1540 (2004) in the Arab World"
- New York, 22 April 2013 - Secretary-General's remarks to the Commission on Population and Development
- New York, 22 April 2013 - Secretary-General's remarks for the Interactive Dialogue on Harmony with Nature to commemorate International Mother Earth Day
- New York, 22 April 2013 - Secretary-General's Remarks at Inauguration of the Renovated Economic and Social Council Chamber
- Doha, 22 April 2013 - Secretary-General's video message to the World Chambers of Commerce Congress