Secretary-General's message to the Global Newborn Health Conference [delivered by Dr. Agostinho Zacarias, Resident Coordinator in South Africa]
Johannesburg, South Africa, 15 April 2013
I am pleased to send greetings to representatives of 50 countries and other participants attending this valuable Global Newborn Health Conference.
Your meeting falls at an opportune time, near the 1,000-day mark in our 15-year campaign to reach the Millennium Development Goals.
I welcome your focus on newborns. Their health is critical to realizing the goals of the Every Woman Every Child effort that I launched in 2010.
That movement has demonstrated the value of partnerships involving the United Nations, governments, civil society and the private sector. Every Woman Every Child is helping to ensure that life-saving services and products reach women, children and newborns.
I am heartened that you will launch the Global Newborn Action Plan, building upon two initiatives that work to advance the goals of Every Woman Every Child: the “Born Too Soon” effort on preterm birth and the initiative, “A Promise Renewed” for child survival.
I will continue to encourage all members of the Every Woman Every Child community to fully support the Global Newborn Action Plan as we strive to implement the Global Strategy for Women’s and Children’s Health. Advancing progress in these areas is critical to reducing unnecessary deaths and achieving the MDGs.
The United Nations family – especially the United Nations Children’s Fund, the World Health Organization and the United Nations Population Fund – will fully support this effort in the critical period ahead.
The Global Newborn Health Conference can add to the growing global momentum as the effort to reach the MDGs enters its final stretch.
I count on you to build on this progress by taking bold and determined action now to save millions of lives in the future.
Statements on 15 April 2013
- New York, 15 April 2013 - Secretary-General's remarks at the ceremony to commemorate the 19th anniversary of the genocide in Rwanda
- New York, 15 April 2013 - Secretary-General's remarks at ceremony for handover of paintings by Chinese Artist Wang Linxu
- New York, 15 April 2013 - Statement Attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on the resignation of Palestinian Prime Minister Salam Fayyad
- New York, 15 April 2013 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on attacks in Mogadishu, Somalia
- New York, 15 April 2013 - Secretary-General's remarks to the Security Council on prevention of conflicts in Africa: Addressing the Root Causes
- Oslo, Norway, 15 April 2013 - Secretary-General's video message to the Oslo Conference on Human Rights, Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity
- Gaborone, Botswana, 15 April 2013 - Secretary-General's message to workshop on the Ratification and Implementation of the Kampala Amendments to the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court [delivered by Mr. Muburi-Muita, Head of the United Nations Office to the African Union]
- Nairobi, Kenya, 15 April 2013 - Secretary-General's message to UN-Habitat Governing Council [delivered by Mrs Sahle-Work Zewde, Director General, United Nations Office in Nairobi]
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates, 15 April 2013 - Secretary-General's message to Dubai Global Energy Forum