New York, 18 March 2013 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on the opening of the National Dialogue in Yemen
The Secretary-General welcomes the launch today of the National Dialogue Conference in Yemen, on a day of remembrance of the ‘Friday of Dignity’ for those who died during peaceful demonstrations on 18 March 2011. He is gratified that the National Dialogue was prepared in a constructive, participatory and comprehensive fashion.
The Yemeni people have chosen the path of peaceful dialogue and reconciliation. The Dialogue represents a historic opportunity for the Yemeni people, including women and youth. It will allow them to come together to resolve grievances and to build trust, ensure justice, promote human rights and contribute to the country’s development and prosperity. He commends President Abdrabuh Mansour Hadi Mansour, the Government and the people of Yemen for their determination and wisdom in keeping the transition process on track against many odds.
The Secretary-General’s Special Adviser on Yemen, Mr. Jamal Benomar, and his team, remain fully engaged with all sides in support of the National Dialogue. They will continue to work closely with Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) members and other international partners to help the transition succeed.
Statements on 18 March 2013
- New York, 18 March 2013 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on Syria
- New York, 18 March 2013 - Secretary-General's remarks at ceremony marking International Day of Nowruz [as prepared for delivery]
- New York, 18 March 2013 - Statement Attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on Iraq
- New York, 18 March 2013 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on Kosovo
- Baku, 18 March 2013 - Secretary-General's message to International Conference on "Strengthening Cooperation in Preventing Terrorism" [Delivered by Mr. Yury Fedotov, Executive Director of the UN Office on Drugs and Crime]
- Seoul, 18 March 2013 - Secretary-General's message to Fashion4Development Event
- New York, 18 March 2013 - Secretary-General's remarks to Final United Natons Conference on the Arms Trade Treaty