Secretary-General's message to Fashion4Development Event
Seoul, 18 March 2013
I am pleased to convey warm greetings to this Fashion 4 Development event.
I thank all involved for your continued support of the United Nations in our work to build a sustainable world of dynamic growth, shared prosperity and environmental protection.
Your gathering this year comes as many important efforts are under way.
Global consultations on the post-2015 development agenda have been taking place across the world, with the next major session to be held later this month in Indonesia. The voices of civil society, the private sector and the academic, scientific and philanthropic communities are a crucial element in this process.
This past week, United Nations Member States began discussions aimed at articulating a set of Sustainable Development Goals. Our aim is a framework that can be every bit as successful in inspiring, uniting and mobilizing the world as the Millennium Development Goals have been.
On April 5th, we will reach a milestone: 1,000 days until the end of the year 2015, the deadline for achieving the MDGs. There has been remarkable progress in improving peoples’ well-being. Yet we also know that far too many in our world still lack the basics for a decent life.
We must all do our utmost to accelerate our efforts. I thank the many figures in the fashion industry who support UN causes, and look forward to more such fruitful collaboration. Please accept my best wishes for a successful event.
Statements on 18 March 2013
- New York, 18 March 2013 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on the opening of the National Dialogue in Yemen
- New York, 18 March 2013 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on Syria
- New York, 18 March 2013 - Secretary-General's remarks at ceremony marking International Day of Nowruz [as prepared for delivery]
- New York, 18 March 2013 - Statement Attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on Iraq
- New York, 18 March 2013 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on Kosovo
- Baku, 18 March 2013 - Secretary-General's message to International Conference on "Strengthening Cooperation in Preventing Terrorism" [Delivered by Mr. Yury Fedotov, Executive Director of the UN Office on Drugs and Crime]
- New York, 18 March 2013 - Secretary-General's remarks to Final United Natons Conference on the Arms Trade Treaty