Paris, France, 21 November 2012 - Secretary-General's video message to First Global Education for All meeting
I am happy to welcome you to this first Global Education for All meeting.
Two months ago, during the UN General Assembly, I launched Education First, a new initiative to push forward our education agenda. It was a great success, and I commend the leadership of Mme. Irina Bokova, the Director-General of UNESCO.
The priorities of Education First are simple. And these priorities are fully aligned with the Education for All goals.
First: Put every child in school.
Second: Improve the quality of learning.
And third: Foster global citizenship.
Education is widely recognized as a key to equitable and sustainable progress.
But there are just three years left until the 2015 deadline, and I am worried that we may miss our education targets in many countries. Progress has been slowing in many places. In some countries, we are even regressing.
We must reverse this trend. We need greater political and financial support if we are to reach our goals.
Education belongs at the top of the global agenda. Education First is mobilizing leaders and citizens to give education the attention and support it deserves. Your meeting can advance this important cause.
I have seen the power of education in my life, my country and our world. I urge all the world’s leaders to give priority to Education First in their national policies. I count on all of you to make education for all a reality – so that the people of today can build a safer and more sustainable tomorrow.
Statements on 21 November 2012
- New York, 21 November 2012 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on the appointment of Kathy Calvin as United Nations Foundation’s President and Chief Executive Officer
- New York, 21 November 2012 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on the signing of the Status of Forces Agreement, SOFA, for UNISFA
- Tel Aviv , 21 November 2012 - Secretary-General's remarks to the Security Council [as delivered]
- Baku, Azerbaijan, 21 November 2012 - Secretary-General's video message to International Conference of Asian Political Parties
- Reduit, Mauritius, 21 November 2012 - Secretary-General's remarks to Global Forum on Migration and Development [delivered by Peter Sutherland, Special Representative for Migration and Development]
- New York, 21 November 2012 - Statement by the Secretary-General on the adoption by the General Assembly’s Third Committee of the resolution “Moratorium on the use of the death penalty”
- New York/Tel Aviv, 21 November 2012 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on the attack in Tel Aviv, Israel