Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on Ms. Margot Wallström, Under-Secretary-General and Special Representative of the Secretary-General on Sexual Violence in Conflict
New York, 16 April 2012Ms. Margot Wallström, Special Representative of the Secretary-General on Sexual Violence in Conflict, has informed the Secretary-General that she will relinquish her post on 31 May 2012 due to family considerations. The Secretary-General has accepted Ms. Wallström’s decision with regret.
The Secretary-General is thankful to Ms. Wallström, who, as his first Special Representative on Sexual Violence in Conflict has brought exceptional leadership to this issue, channelling the voices of survivors and victims into the Security Council, and demanding greater accountability and justice at national and international levels. During her tenure, the landmark Security Council resolution 1960 (2010) was adopted, which put in place the tools for more systematic monitoring and reporting of sexual violence, and for the identification of perpetrators. The Secretary-General is also appreciative of the role she has had in establishing and giving direction to the Team of Experts on Rule of Law/Sexual Violence in Conflict, mandated under Security Council resolution 1888 (2009), and opening the ground for the acceptance by national governments of the Team’s work. He commends Ms. Wallström for her effective Chairmanship of the inter-agency network, United Nations Action Against Sexual Violence in Conflict, which continues to give greater coherence to the United Nations system’s response.
The Secretary-General will review possible replacements for Ms. Margot Wallström in due course.
Statements on 16 April 2012
- New York, NY, 16 April 2012 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on the situation in Sudan and South Sudan
- New York, NY, 16 April 2012 - Statement Attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on Guinea-Bissau (scroll down for French)
- New York, 16 April 2012 - Statement Attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on attacks in Afghanistan
- Brussels, Belgium, 16 April 2012 - Secretary-General's Remarks to European Union Summit on Sustainable Energy for All
- New York, 16 April 2012 - Statement Attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on the second round of the presidential election in Timor-Leste