New York, 29 November 2011 - Secretary-General's message for Art Exhibit on Palestinian Cultural Heritage Sites and ArtifactsI welcome this year's art exhibit on the occasion of the International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People. These beautiful paintings, ceramics and textiles gracefully express the rich Palestinian cultural heritage. They also reflect the yearning of the Palestinian people for recognition and dignity.
Art has the power to help us transcend historic challenges and communicate universal values, including the search for peace, justice and mutual respect.
The United Nations has always stood for an independent, viable and sovereign Palestinian State, living side-by-side in peace and security with Israel.
I continue to urge the parties to refrain from provocative action, including unilateral actions on the ground, and create an atmosphere conducive to meaningful negotiations on all the core issues.
A historic peace must end the conflict and the occupation that began in 1967 and resolve all permanent status issues, including the plight of the Palestinian refugees.
In the occupied Palestinian territory, the United Nations continues to provide relief to the Palestinian people, assist in addressing their social and economic needs, and support their state-building efforts.
As Secretary-General, I will continue to do my utmost to bring about a comprehensive, just and lasting peace in the Middle East.
Statements on 29 November 2011
- New York, 29 November 2011 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on Lebanon - Firing of rockets against Israel
- New York, 29 November 2011 - Statement Attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on Egypt's parliamentary elections
- New York, 29 November 2011 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on Nepal
- , 29 November 2011 - Secretary-General's message to Ministerial Meeting on the Development of a Central Asian Plan of Action to Implement the UN Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy [delivered by Mr. Miroslav Jenèa, Special Representative of the Secretary-General and Head of the United Nations Regional Centre for Preventive Diplomacy for Central Asia (UNRCCA)]
- New York, 29 November 2011 - Secretary-General's remarks on the International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People [delivered by the Deputy Secretary-General]