New York, 21 September 2010 - Secretary-General's video message for "Ring the Bell" CampaignI am Ban Ki-moon, Secretary General of the United Nations.
In a globalized world, more and more of the problems we face can be solved only by governments working together.
But there is one terrible problem that we can address as individuals:
Violence against women.
Millions of men and boys, in many countries, are stopping this violence ? (Raises one finger) ? just by lifting one finger.
When they suspect that they hear the sounds of a woman or girl being abused...
They ring the doorbell and ask an innocent question like, “Can you tell me the time?”
This is a simple step – but a very effective one.
It interrupts what's happening.
It shows that people are watching and listening.
It may give a woman the chance to escape.
It helps to stop the violence.
It's a powerful way for men and boys to make a difference.
The idea began in India. In Hindi, it's called Bell Bajao [pron. bell bad-jao], which means “Ring the Bell.”
Now we want the whole world to join us. Violence against women takes place in all countries and across all cultures.
There are two ways to help.
Find out more at bellbajao-DOT-org.
And join my campaign, UNiTE to End Violence Against Women.
Bell Bajao. (Raises index finger.)
Ring the bell.
Statements on 21 September 2010
- New York, 21 September 2010 - Secretary-General's message to Ad Hoc Liaison Committee Meeting [Delivered by Mr. B. Lynn Pascoe, Under-Secretary-General for Political Affairs]
- New York, 21 September 2010 - Secretary-General's remarks to MDG Summit High-Level Event "Towards Universal Energy Access"
- New York, 21 September 2010 - Statement Attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on the Panel on the Referenda in the Sudan
- New York, 21 September 2010 - Secretary-General's remarks at event for Champions for Global Health
- New York, 21 September 2010 - Secretary-General's remarks to MDG Summit event: "1,000 Days: Change a Life, Change the Future: Partnering to Reduce Child Under-Nutrition"
- New York, 21 September 2010 - Secretary-General's remarks at MDG Summit Side Event on the Least Developed Countries [as prepared for delivery]
- New York, 21 September 2010 - Secretary-General's message on the International Day of Peace