New York, 22 April 2013 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General regarding the violence in Borno State, Nigeria
The Secretary-General is shocked and saddened at the reports of high numbers of civilians killed, and homes destroyed, as a result of violence between military forces and an extremist group in the northeastern town of Baga in Borno State, Nigeria, on 19 and 20 April. He expresses his condolences to the bereaved families and calls on all extremist groups to cease their attacks. The Secretary-General reiterates his firm conviction that no objective sought can justify this resort to violence. He underscores the need for all concerned to fully respect human rights and safeguard the lives of civilians.
Statements on 22 April 2013
- New York, 22 April 2013 - Secretary-General's remarks to Friends of Sustainable Energy for All
- New York, 22 April 2013 - Statement Attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on the Governorate Council elections in Iraq
- New York, 22 April 2013 - Secretary-General's remarks at event on "Preventing the Proliferation of Weapons of Mass Destruction to Non-State Actors : The Implementation of Resolution 1540 (2004) in the Arab World"
- New York, 22 April 2013 - Secretary-General's remarks to the Commission on Population and Development
- New York, 22 April 2013 - Secretary-General's remarks for the Interactive Dialogue on Harmony with Nature to commemorate International Mother Earth Day
- New York, 22 April 2013 - Secretary-General's Remarks at Inauguration of the Renovated Economic and Social Council Chamber
- Doha, 22 April 2013 - Secretary-General's video message to the World Chambers of Commerce Congress