New York, 16 October 2003 - Secretary-General's remarks to Security Council following adoption of Resolution 1511 on IraqMr. President,
May I commend the members of the Security Council for having reached this significant agreement on what obviously is a particularly important resolution to address the complex situation in Iraq. The process has been difficult. But the outcome is a clear demonstration of the will of all the members of the Security Council to place the interests of the Iraqi people above all other considerations.
Our common objective is to restore peace and stability to a sovereign, democratic and independent Iraq as quickly as possible. It is critical to the Iraqi people, the region and the entire international community that we succeed in reaching the goal of an Iraq that is at peace with itself and with its neighbours, and is contributing to stability in the region.
As Secretary-General, I shall do my utmost to implement the mandate established by the Council, bearing in mind the constraints on building up the required capacity and my obligation to care for the safety and security of United Nations staff. I am grateful to the Council for the flexibility that the new resolution gives me in this respect.
Although at this moment the United Nations has only a skeleton presence on the ground, we are determined to continue helping the Iraqi people as best as we can, from both inside and outside the country, primarily in providing humanitarian assistance.
As circumstances permit, I plan to proceed with the other tasks indicated in the resolution. I have no doubt that we all look forward to the earliest possible establishment of an elected Government that will return Iraq to full sovereignty.
Thank you very much.
Statements on 16 October 2003
- New York, 16 October 2003 - Statement attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on the death of Moktar Ould Daddah of Mauritania
- New York, 16 October 2003 - Statement attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on the conclusion of China's first manned space flight
- New York, 16 October 2003 - Secretary-General's video message to the World Food Prize Symposium
- New York, 16 October 2003 - Secretary-General's message on World Food Day
- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 16 October 2003 - Secretary-General's statement to the Tenth Summit of the Organization of the Islamic confrence [delivered by Mr. Lakhdar Brahimi, Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Afghanistan]