New York, 14 November 2011 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on recent tensions between Sudan and South SudanThe Secretary-General expresses deep concern over the escalation of rhetoric between the Government of Sudan and the Government of South Sudan, particularly in regard to cross border support of rebel groups and incursions into one another's territory.
The Secretary-General condemns the 10 November aerial bombardment by the Sudan Armed Forces on the Yida area in Unity State, South Sudan, along its border with Sudan, and the impact on civilian lives.
The Secretary-General also condemns the reported establishment of a new military alliance of Darfur rebel movements and the Sudan People Liberation Movement-North, calling for the use of force against the Government.
The Secretary-General calls on all parties to refrain from the use of force and reaffirms that conflict can only be resolved through political dialogue. He calls on the Governments of Sudan and South Sudan to exercise restraint in managing border tensions and to recommit to a negotiated settlement of outstanding post-CPA issues.
Statements on 14 November 2011
- New York, 14 November 2011 - Statement Attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on the Peace and Reconciliation Caravan in the Central African Republic (scroll down for French)
- Rajendrapur, Bangladesh, 14 November 2011 - Secretary-General''s remarks at the Bangladesh Institute of Peace Support Operation Training (BIPSOT) [as prepared for delivery]
- Dhaka, Bangladesh, 14 November 2011 - Secretary-General's remarks at opening of Climate Vulnerable Forum
- Geneva, Switzerland, 14 November 2011 - Secretary-General's message to the Fourth Review Conference of the Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons [delivered by Mr. Kassym-Jomart Tokayev, Director-General, United Nations Office at Geneva]
- New York, 14 November 2011 - Secretary-General's message on World Diabetes Day
- Dhaka, Bangladesh, 14 November 2011 - Secretary-General''s remarks at inauguration of One Stop Service Centre