New York, 12 September 2011 - Statement Attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on the Sri Lanka Panel of Experts ReportThe Secretary-General is sending today the report of his Panel of Experts on accountability in Sri Lanka to the President of the Human Rights Council and the High Commissioner for Human Rights. The Sri Lankan Government has been informed of the Secretary-General's decision to share the report with the Council and the High Commissioner. While the Secretary-General had given time to the Government of Sri Lanka to respond to the report, the Government has declined to do so, and instead has produced its own reports on the situation in the north of Sri Lanka, which are being forwarded along with the Panel of Experts report.
On the recommendation of the Panel of Experts for the United Nations to review its own actions during the period in question in Sri Lanka, the Secretary-General has asked Ms. Thoraya Obaid, former Executive Director of the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), to conduct the review, which should begin soon.
Statements on 12 September 2011
- The Hague, Netherlands, 12 September 2011 - Secretary-General's message to the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons Conference on International Cooperation and Chemical Safety and Security [delivered by Mr. Kassym-Jomart Tokayev, Director-General of the United Nations Office at Geneva]
- New York, 12 September 2011 - Secretary-General's Remarks at the Church of the Holy Family [As delivered]
- New York, 12 September 2011 - Secretary-General's remarks at closing of the 65th Session of the General Assembly
- New York, 12 September 2011 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on pipeline explosion in Kenya
- New York, 12 September 2011 - Secretary-General's tribute to Harri Holkeri at closing of the 65th Session of the General Assembly