New York , 15 June 2011 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on the situation in Southern Kordofan, SudanThe Secretary-General is deeply concerned about the deterioration of the security situation and the escalation of fighting in Southern Kordofan, which has caused the death of many civilians and the displacement of tens of thousands, and put United Nations staff directly at risk.
The Secretary-General urges the parties to immediately cease all hostilities and allow unconditional air and ground access to UNMIS and the humanitarian agencies to all parts of Southern Kordofan to provide vital assistance to the affected population, and to ensure the safety and security of United Nations staff.
The Secretary-General welcomes the efforts led by the African Union High-level Implementation Panel (AUHIP) to help the parties resolve their differences through peaceful political means, and encourages the parties to reach an agreement as soon as possible.
Statements on 15 June 2011
- Montevideo, Uruguay, 15 June 2011 - Secretary-General''s remarks to Parliament of Uruguay
- New York, 15 June 2011 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on upcoming roundtable of the partners of the Central African Republic [scroll down for French]
- Astana, Kazakhstan, 15 June 2011 - Secretary-General's message to the Council of Heads of State of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) [Delivered by Mr. Yury Fedotov, Executive Director of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC)and Director-General of the United Nations Office in Vienna (UNOV)]
- Montevideo, Uruguay, 15 June 2011 - Secretary-General's remarks at visit to Punta Rieles Penitentiary Centre [as prepared for delivery]
- Montevideo, Uruguay, 15 June 2011 - Secretary-General's remarks to National School for Peacekeeping Operations [as prepared for delivery]