New York, 1 December 2010 - Secretary-General's message World AIDS DayNext year will mark the 30th anniversary of the AIDS epidemic. This milestone offers a moment to reflect -- and to renew our resolve.
Over the past three decades, AIDS has caused untold suffering and death. But another story has unfolded through the years, one of the global community uniting with passion to take action and save lives. These efforts are making a real difference around the world.
Fewer people are becoming infected with HIV. Millions of people have gained access to HIV treatment. More women are now able to prevent their babies from becoming infected with HIV. Travel restrictions for people living with HIV are being lifted by many countries, as stigma gives way -- still too slowly -- to compassion and recognition of human rights.
With commitment and solidarity, this movement is helping the world turn the corner on the AIDS epidemic. We have finally reached the first part of Millennium Development Goal 6 -- by halting and beginning to reverse the spread of HIV. We must continue to chart a new and bold path ahead.
Our common goal is clear: universal access to HIV prevention, treatment, care and support. We must also work to make the AIDS response sustainable.
Three decades into this crisis, let us set our sights on achieving the “three zeros” -- zero new HIV infections, zero discrimination and zero AIDS-related deaths. On this World AIDS Day, let us pledge to work together to realize this vision for all of the world's people.
Statements on 1 December 2010
- New York, 1 December 2010 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on the incident in Zalingei, West Darfur
- New York, 1 December 2010 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on Côte d'Ivoire
- New York, 1 December 2010 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on the Presidential election in Côte d'Ivoire [scroll down for French version]
- New York, 1 December 2010 - Secretary-General's remarks to the Counter-Terrorism Committee Practitioners' Seminar on Bringing Terrorists to Justice [delivered by the Deputy Secretary-General]
- Astana, Kazakhstan, 1 December 2010 - Secretary-General's remarks to Summit of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE)