New York, 7 October 2008 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on Darfur – attack on UNAMID troopsThe Secretary-General strongly condemns yesterday's attack by a group of about 40 to 60 armed men on a convoy of UNAMID (African Union/United Nations Hybrid Operation in Darfur) troops on a route assessment patrol from Nyala to Khor Abeche. One Nigerian soldier was killed during the course of the ambush.
Both the Government of Sudan, as well as the concerned armed movements operating in the area, bear responsibility for the provision of security and for refraining from attacks against civilians as well as UN peacekeepers.
The Secretary-General offers his condolences to the Government of Nigeria and to the friends and family of the deceased and stresses that all parties have a responsibility to respect the mandate and integrity of the joint African Union/United Nations peacekeeping operation in Darfur.
Statements on 7 October 2008
- New York, 7 October 2008 - Secretary-General's remarks to the Americans for UNFPA Gala for Health and Dignity of Women
- New York, 7 October 2008 - Secretary-General's Press Conference
- New York, 7 October 2008 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on the earthquake in Kyrgyzstan
- New York, 7 October 2008 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on Sri Lanka
- Tokyo, Japan, 7 October 2008 - Secretary-General's message on receiving the "Cool Biz" Award [delivered by Prof. Dr. Konrad Osterwalder, Rector, United Nations University]